Currently reading:
Pva Versus Primers | Always Use A Primer When Tiling, And Not Pva

Search the forum,

Discuss Pva Versus Primers | Always Use A Primer When Tiling, And Not Pva in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

squarecut

Re: P.v.a. Versus Primers......

Just read through this whole thread, very interesting and informative.

Just wondering why it matters what you seal the back and edges of wbp ply with? Firstly, shouldnt wbp put up with small amount of moisture?

and if you want to seal it against moisture ingress could you not use some leftover old gloss or varnish? (I appreciate these would cost more if you were to buy especially) What is it that makes sbr or apd the best product for this when its not even coming into contact with addy?

D

digi

Hi,

I have some 'Cementone SBR' (as stocked by B&Q) left over from a garden repointing/ rendering project.

I now have a small tiling project underway and I have applied this as a primer to the wall 4:1 (water:sbr).

After reading through this thread, I'm now wondering if there are different types of SBR? and if I've used the correct type?

On the container it does say "It is a excellent all round primer and bonding agent." but nothing else on mix ratios for priming or for tiling applications.

It also says "refer to product data sheet full details on these and all other applications" but I'm not sure where to find this.

Thanks.

S

scottiecom

just read through this whole thread , so good tips but...........................

bal apd and bal sbr bond, whats the difference or can they both be used on ply?

also noticed a few comments about bal adhesives not needing primed,bal rapid flexi tells you to use sbr bond

also when you read some post it reads as if you prime the back and edge of the ply but not the face to be tiled ?

H

Homza

Interesting thread. Questions about priming- In the UK do you prime every surface before you tile or only wood and plaster surfaces?
Over here the only time I prime a surface is before applying self leveling cement. Also if tiling over gypsum based self leveling (we call it gypcrete) installed by others.
Otherwise just use a latex modified mortar that is designed to bond to the particular substrate. We have ANSI 118.4 products that are latex modified for bonding to masonry surfaces and ANSI 118.11 for bonding to wood surfaces. They are adding ISO labels, Mapei has them already.
Most of the time I am setting over existing concrete. If it is a plywood floor we go with cement board/hardi/or Ditra over it.
For walls in showers I go with cement board but apply a surface applied liquid waterproof membrane. Usually the only time I am bonding to drywall(plasterboard) is for a kitchen backsplash.
Is the sealer to improve the bond, or to prevent the substrate from pulling the moisture out of the mortar too fast, or a combination of the two? Thanks.

D

DHTiling

Interesting thread. Questions about priming- In the UK do you prime every surface before you tile or only wood and plaster surfaces?
Over here the only time I prime a surface is before applying self leveling cement. Also if tiling over gypsum based self leveling (we call it gypcrete) installed by others.
Otherwise just use a latex modified mortar that is designed to bond to the particular substrate. We have ANSI 118.4 products that are latex modified for bonding to masonry surfaces and ANSI 118.11 for bonding to wood surfaces. They are adding ISO labels, Mapei has them already.
Most of the time I am setting over existing concrete. If it is a plywood floor we go with cement board/hardi/or Ditra over it.
For walls in showers I go with cement board but apply a surface applied liquid waterproof membrane. Usually the only time I am bonding to drywall(plasterboard) is for a kitchen backsplash.
Is the sealer to improve the bond, or to prevent the substrate from pulling the moisture out of the mortar too fast, or a combination of the two? Thanks.

We also have Gypsum plster on the walls, so need priming if using thinset to prevent etterignite reaction.. and some times we have dusty screed floors , so a primer seals the surface to help create a bond as you say.. but not neat as this skins and will create a failure...

It can also reduce the moisture suction like you mentioned if a longer open time is required.

M

Minesacarling

I was doing a kitchen floor last week on ply. I sent the customer to tiles Uk for the adhesive and grout, and explained to buy primer and defenetly not p.v.a. When he got there they were sold out and the staff convinced him along with other tilers in the store that pva works just aswell. But what chance do customers have when the so called experts at the tile shop don't even know not to use pva

R

RichieRich

Thank you so much for this post. I must admit over the years I have only ever used PVA to prime the walls before tiling as that's what I was told to use. I dread to think of all the bathrooms ive tiled what now has tiles hanging on literally to a sheet of PVA glue. I've just ordered some 'proper' priming liquid now and will never ever touch that stuff again. This website has opened my eyes in alot of ways and I cant thank you guys enough.

D

DHTiling

Thank you so much for this post. I must admit over the years I have only ever used PVA to prime the walls before tiling as that's what I was told to use. I dread to think of all the bathrooms ive tiled what now has tiles hanging on literally to a sheet of PVA glue. I've just ordered some 'proper' priming liquid now and will never ever touch that stuff again. This website has opened my eyes in alot of ways and I cant thank you guys enough.

There is not a member on here who has not learnt something from Tilers forums..:) it is the fact you have read and acted that counts..

U

user123

Yep, same here, I know just how you feel :thumbsup:

U

user123

An example of a PVA disaster... just now, in a mosaic artist group I belong to, this poor mosaic artist, commissioned to do a 24ft! community mosaic had this happen to her mosaics 2 days after it was installed - she used exterior ply (wrong), primed it with pva, (so so wrong) and then used a cement adhesive and grout - this is the result. Yes, I have given the lecture... have given it several times before but it's horses to water, isn't it... and it doesn't help that most mosaic books on the market still say, "prime with pva solution".. bladibla..

mosaic pva fail 1.jpg mosaic pva fail2.jpg

Reply to Pva Versus Primers | Always Use A Primer When Tiling, And Not Pva in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.