Discuss Protilers - latex screeding a floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Protilers

Evening all....just got back from screeding a 45m2 floor......
it was a really rough floor coated with a Silka DPM.........
All the materials used were from Weber...........as per spec......
first off we used Weber PR360 primer..........

here is how it went:

IMG_1758_zps406e4bec.jpg

IMG_1759_zpsce4d747f.jpg

IMG_1760_zps0b66fc55.jpg

IMG_1761_zpsa8849a64.jpg

IMG_1764_zps66683856.jpg

here is how it looked after it has dried.....

IMG_1789_zps0b0ed8e4.jpg

IMG_1790_zpsddeb3ae7.jpg

IMG_1791_zpsec3e772c.jpg

IMG_1792_zpsfae17a10.jpg

IMG_1793_zps55c69fa4.jpg

its a really good floor and I am not going to get to tile it...........(gutted!)
this job was completed for a major wood flooring contractor in London..........

what do you lot think?

all the best

Lee

P

Protilers

it looks like it has had a Damp problem ! to me ,why did they use pitch -on the sub-floor lee ?

It did have a damp problem DPF.........and there has been a plastic membrane installed and then a floor screed (S&C).....then they have applied a liqud membrane with aggrigatte.....and I have gone over that.....

but I have to be honest..........I have no idea what "pitch" is?

all the best buddy

Lee

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The black was the DPM Dave..

P

Protilers

Pitch (resin) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it was used all the time years ago when i used to screed houses , usually roofing contractors used to boil-it -up and then they applied it to the oversight concrete with an old mop-head , it looked just like your floor as they sometimes used to dash sand into it to give it key ,then a day or two later we would screed onto it ,that was the DPM !.....

well DPF...its a modern equivilent......same REMOVED different day!!!!............

hehheehheeehheheeeee.........never heard the term "pitch" tho'......................

would you be interested in helping me out on a job?.........its over 1400m2......and part of it is a pool an jacuzzzi.........in W2, London.........I will understand if you are busy.........pm me..........

Lee

Last edited by a moderator:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Looks like they are going to carry on having a damp problem, looks to me they have plastered down to floor !

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Looks like they are going to carry on having a damp problem, looks to me they have plastered down to floor !

Depends how it is tanked and where the walls DPM is in relation to the floor. Looks like new plaster where skirtings have been removed

Reaction score
Yes i was wondering myself as i'am a qualified dam-proofing operative, did it years ago, and we were always taught to remove the plasterwork at a hight of 1M all around the room and that just guessing the scale against things in the rooms is to low, also there appears to be salts comming -out on the walls where its not been taken off properly ( trouble there already ) the reason you remove 1m high is because rising damp can never go any higher that 1m ,so you always assume that its infected to that hight !!!...........

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Depends how it is tanked and where the walls DPM is in relation to the floor. Looks like new plaster where skirtings have been removed

It is new plaster, but still plastered to the floor.
And to b fair ajax if the dpm is below the floor, its wrong mate . Never bridge a damp course, i honestly thought it was a no no in plastering( unless upstairs) plastering to the floor, especially in a damp climate like ours !

A

Aston

good point dave!
at least they have carried the dpm to dpc level..i used to do loads of floor rip outs with quarry tiles and put down plastic membrane with the new screed on top and one of the big faults was when lads didnt cut into the mortar above the dpc level and tuck in the membrane and seal with a mastic. if you didnt do that they the damp would just come up the side and into the walls.

on another note, lee (protiler) has done a good job of the slc! shame some other tiler is going to to tile it.

P

Protilers

good point dave!
at least they have carried the dpm to dpc level..i used to do loads of floor rip outs with quarry tiles and put down plastic membrane with the new screed on top and one of the big faults was when lads didnt cut into the mortar above the dpc level and tuck in the membrane and seal with a mastic. if you didnt do that they the damp would just come up the side and into the walls.

on another note, lee (protiler) has done a good job of the slc! shame some other tiler is going to to tile it.

no one else will tile it ED.....I did a screeding job for a leading London wood flooring company, plus there is no plasterboard in this apartment....its a basement flat and all the walls are brick, render and plaster.......

all the best

Lee

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
And to b fair ajax if the dpm is below the floor, its wrong mate . Never bridge a damp course, i honestly thought it was a no no in plastering( unless upstairs) plastering to the floor, especially in a damp climate like ours !

I don't disagree ... Was just making a point. Only time I plaster to the floor is upstairs...even then I don't usually cos the skirtings cover the gap.

W

White Room

We used to plaster when a sand/cement screed was going to be laid and keep the gypsum plaster above where the level of the screed was going.

Any tanking/damp issues the render would be taken up a metre high from the floor with a intagral water proofer.

Reply to Protilers - latex screeding a floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22