Search the forum,

Discuss Project En-Suite - Setting Out Guidance in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

project damager

Hi Team

I have attached a PDF of my setting out plans for my en-suite project and would be really grateful for the benefit of any advice from you all.

The room is 1.870 X 1.610. The tiles are 316mm X 450mm.

I am going to build a section in the rear right hand corner to accommodate a large vanity unit (scavenged from a previous project) and also the cistern for the WC.

The light shading is either where the Shower goes (an all in one steam shower unit), the WC or the free standing table for the sink.

I am planning to use a tile skirting detail which is approx 70mm high.

I have shown a 60mm void around the top of the tiles where I was going to remove the cornice but have since decided against it and will leave it.

By tomorrow evening I should have stripped out what I can, without the help of a plumber, and will post some photographs.

I would welcome any comments and advice

Thanks a lot!

Brian - The Project Damager

Attachments

• En-Suite.pdf
    39.4 KB · Views: 103
D

davy_G

Looks fine but by not centering the window you loose the small cuts at the edges, then stretch or reduce tiles to suit walls around the corners.

You have got the basics. Well done

P

project damager

Thanks a lot Dave,

Can you expand on your "by not centering window thought" please - are you saying that I might be able to get rid of the small cuts at either end of the "windwo wall" by re-aligning the tiling around the window? Do I use a smaller tile on the window? Sorry if I am being stupid here...

Kind regards,

E

enduro

He means, find the centre of the window and mark a line on the wall, then get your tile and put it on the line and then mark the wall with the tile towards the edge of your window. the idea is to get even cuts at each side of the window as the centre of the window is where you should start on this wall and run your cuts into the corners :thumbsup:.

D

davy_G

Yep enduro, that is what it looks like project damager has tried to do. However this has left small cuts or slivers (less than 1/4 to 1/5th of a tile) running into the corners.
I like to centre windows if possible but you have to decide will the finished look be better with a centered window and slivers or move the tiles off centre either way and do away with the slivers. With brickbond its not easy as there are 2 rows of tiles you are setting out and sacrifices have to be made somewhere. Just decide on the main focal points and where the eye is drawn to.
What i would definitely advise against is slivers around windows!

Good luck

M

m.w.tiling

:ninja: you have the option with half bond of centering to 3/4 of the tile. This has the effect of leaving equal cuts to both sides but staggers the courses so not true symmetry, but still looks nice, would make yor cuts bigger while still centered.

D

Daz

Personally, I would factor in the grout gap.
I would then look at shifting the tiles to lose the "****" cuts and give a symetrical appearance both vertically and horizontally.
As previously stated, you can carry a slightly "longer" tile round a corner to provide a beter look around the wall features without ruining the overall effect.

With more thought and some proper setting out this could look really nice so just take your time and you will be pleased with the result.

Good luck.

P

project damager

Hi Team

Thank you all so much for your advice.

I am struggling a little with some of the terminology...

Half bond to centering to 3/4???

Slightly longer around the corner?

Is the suggestion that I do not place tiles "pyrimid style" - one centered on top of two, but instead off set them somehow?

Nobody has said so but does anyone feel that these large tiles should just be laid one on top of the other and side by side?

Thanks again for the feed back, I am learning all the time here...

Kind regards,

D

DHTiling

hi brian..
I have done a few jobs of late where the trend with 600x300 format type tiles is to just lay them side on , one on top of another as you say...looks good as well.....

G

grumpygrouter

hi brian..
I have done a few jobs of late where the trend with 600x300 format type tiles is to just lay them side on , one on top of another as you say...looks good as well.....
Agree with Dave here, did my sisters bathroom in this style and it looks very elegant!

Grumpy

Last edited by a moderator:
P

project damager

:ninja: you have the option with half bond of centering to 3/4 of the tile. This has the effect of leaving equal cuts to both sides but staggers the courses so not true symmetry, but still looks nice, would make yor cuts bigger while still centered.

Hi Team,

I really would be grateful if someone could explain the "option with half bond of centering to 3/4 of the tile" please. I just don't get it!?!?

Thanks a lot,

D

davy_G

I havnt done it but i think it is where you dont centre the next grout line on the contre of the previous tile. You move it along sideways a bit 3/4 of the way along the tile. It would be easier to draw but hopefully you get the drift.
I saw it in a toilet once (in a pub) and noticed it because it was different.

Reply to Project En-Suite - Setting Out Guidance in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen