Discuss prime or tank first? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

rl11tr

-
Reaction score
This is a proper newbie question. I've tried to find the answer already provided on the forum but can't!

Is the order of application that you prime, tank, tile or tank, prime, tile? Or just two things? - prime and tile or tank and tile?

I specifically have a wall that is pink plastered plasterboard - old 6 inch ceramic tiles already removed with almost no damage. I don't have space to put up any kind of new surface first - cement board or new plasterboard etc. The plasterboard that has been plastered is paramount, so not really possible to take the wall out and replace either.

The new 300mm x 600mm 8mm ceramic tiling is just going over a bath but the bath will have a shower over it - the bathroom isn't actually going to get used that often either.

I'm thinking prime and tile is possibly enough? But everywhere seems to say tank, which takes me back to my original question, if all three of prime, tank and tile are required, what order? - though I am pretty sure it is tiles last! 😆

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
This is a proper newbie question. I've tried to find the answer already provided on the forum but can't!

Is the order of application that you prime, tank, tile or tank, prime, tile? Or just two things? - prime and tile or tank and tile?

I specifically have a wall that is pink plastered plasterboard - old 6 inch ceramic tiles already removed with almost no damage. I don't have space to put up any kind of new surface first - cement board or new plasterboard etc. The plasterboard that has been plastered is paramount, so not really possible to take the wall out and replace either.

The new 300mm x 600mm 8mm ceramic tiling is just going over a bath but the bath will have a shower over it - the bathroom isn't actually going to get used that often either.

I'm thinking prime and tile is possibly enough? But everywhere seems to say tank, which takes me back to my original question, if all three of prime, tank and tile are required, what order? - though I am pretty sure it is tiles last! 😆
I see this alot , people advising to tank walls , but unless you tank the walls and floor and all tanked into a drainage point , you are not tanking , you are just guiding a future problem somewhere else !! Water will always find path of least resistance !!

Reply to prime or tank first? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks