Discuss Potential efflorescence- how to remove in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi, ive just had a new tile floor laid with black BAL grout. This was laid on top of a new concrete base to help level the floor. Tiles were unglazed porcelain from Topps (https://www.toppstiles.co.uk/shapes-mosaics/shapes-hexagon-unglazed-black-mosaic-tile).

All looked great for a few days until I started to see a whiteness on the grouting.All is well when wet, but when dry it’s looks off colour, like a thin dust coating.See attached images for example.

I researched this online and I can only assume it to be efflorescence. There are several threads on this already recommending certain cleaning products but these seem to be only available in the US, not in the UK. I’m also concerned that the tiles are unglazed and whether any products would damage the tiles.

Once removed I would the like to seal the floor to provide a satin finish so it looks better that the dull unglazed finish.

Any advise on how to get my new floor looking great again would be very much appreciated. Thank you. 6D08DA79-96F3-4DEA-8B1D-2D84C5A8B885.jpeg AAD9451E-A0DA-43C9-9B02-D196276FBB10.jpeg

demi34

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I have same problem with the regal tiles from Topps tiles, grout it yesterday anthracite grout. I can’t clean the floor properly because has left efflorescence

C5B21A9B-51AD-4E0A-9B52-F62B1C525E66.jpeg

7BA3767B-B7E2-4831-99B5-9C463879BA2A.jpeg

26401E7E-F354-4510-8BF9-CFD3A8E3460F.jpeg

Reaction score
Porcelain is quite acid resistant so you could use acidic cleaners to remove that efflorescence. Deffinatelly do a test first to see if acidic detergent will effect the porcelain though. I like a Fila product called Deterdeck as is not hydrochloric like brick acid so packs less of a punch but will dissolve those white patches easily. A good stiff bristled hand brush to scrub the grout lines will be needed.
The best way to change the surface of a tile is a topical wax but this may not be the best idea on porcelain.

Reply to Potential efflorescence- how to remove in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks