Search the forum,

Discuss Plywood Or Cement Board in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Z

zed123

Hi I have a 200 sq m space to tile , on an existing mezzanine floor. there is slight movement in places not much though.

I am wondering what the experts here would recommend to use prior to tiling plywood or cement board [no more ply ]

any input / advice would be appreciated.

O

Old Mod

Hey Zed,
Can u define movement for us please?
Are talking about deflection (bounce)?
Any deflection could potentially be detrimental to your finished floor.
Do you know the construction of the existing floor?
What are you over boarding?
What material is the final covering?

Z

zed123

it is very minimal bounce in some places , so minimal I should not have mentioned it so you can ignore that.

existing floor - I am not very good with timber but they are 2mx60cm pieces of wood for the floor of mezzanine which has been used for storing stock for 5 years. but now we are going to tile it with 12mm porcelain glazed tiles.

thanks for your reply :)

O

Old Mod

it is very minimal bounce in some places , so minimal I should not have mentioned it so you can ignore that.
Haha it's hard to ignore something u've said
Well minimal or not, bounce is bounce, and is not conducive to a successful installation.
So strengthening the existing floor is something you should look into.

So if I was to ignore everything u've said apart from the actual question of cement board or ply, the answer would be very simple.
The choice would always be a cement board over ply, ply is not a stable material, it can expand, contract or delaminate and is effected by moisture.
A cement board is an inert material, it doesn't suffer the same problems as ply, but must be installed correctly.
Stagger your joints, glue and screw in place, not forgetting to apply their glue to the edges as u lay the boards, prime with tile SBR.

J

Just Rizzle

another alternative could be to use a decoupling membrain schluter ditra then screed over with fiber leveller then tile

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
If you replace all the nails for screws you can use fastflex by BAL. I think another firm does a ready made one but can't for the life of me remember who.

Z

zed123

one guy i have called round is saying to use pva instead of mega strength adhesive to stick the no more ply onto the wood, do you think that is advisable?

Reply to Plywood Or Cement Board in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen