Search the forum,

Discuss Please Help With Corner Cut Of V-shaped Tile On Steps!! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Italy

I cut off. 2 cm all angles. The problem is solved. yet it remains. better system.
the wife. say whatever. who said john :)

I

Italy

Those Round Edge tiles appear to be a pain in the backside.

I'd just take them back and then tile the upstand first level with the step, then with the top tiles finish them off overlapping the step, meeting the edge of the tile on the upstand, and if you want to, perhaps get a fancy L-shaped chrome trim or something.

They've made it near on impossible to get right by only providing RE's and no REX's.
I'm allergic. to that type. rounded and cut back. very fragile

B

Bill

You need to over hang the risers so that the treads will cut to size on the new corner points. You can't start full tile (length wise) risers on both sides.

T

Tile Shop

Thought i had a great idea for a second. Then read the first post and saw he'd tried already. Simplest is to cut 20mm off the back of every tread. She'll have to put up with it as the best of a bad bunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

Was racking my brain with this all day, then the simplest solution hit me.

Can't you just cut 20mm off the arse end of every tread and then mitre the corner? Then everything is 30x30 and will fit.

Yeah its extra cutting but makes sense. A wet cutter will file the edges as its going so won't be a sharpe edge like a ceramic. Gotta get it spot on though.
See post #7

K

Kylem

Thanks for everybody's suggestions. Unfortunately, as Paul C. said this is not the only losing battle I'm fighting. The boss/wife fired me from the job ( and
I'd let your wife do it - they are always right . ( even when they're wrong)!
this made my day and made me laugh so hard I started choking (maybe it was the beer at the same time). So, since the boss decided I am too incompetent to do this she decided to call a professional, You can only imagine the smug expression on my face when he told her exactly what I have been saying before posting on this forum. I really liked the bullnose idea, but my concern is how sturdy it will be as it wouldnt be attached to the actual concrete slab, but be more of a floating piece supported only by the mortar filling the inside curve. Paul C's second post looks good, but these edge pieces are quite expensive and cuting so many is costly. 3_Fall's comment was a little hard to make sense of at first, but I think it is what I wanted to do from the get go... Anyways, once again.. Thank you for the advice.. Cheers! (oh, by the way, when the professional told her what I have been telling her the whole time, I got my job back and now she's bitching why it isn't done yet)

K

Kylem

one last question. If cutting all the tread pieces, what is the best way to get a smooth grout line cut.. The wet saw or an angle grinder. I replaced the blade on my hand cutter, but sometimes there is still some chipping.

K

Kylem

ok, I lied. I have another question. should the riser be above or beneath the tread piece below it. Im sure there is a post about this already or I can google, but I would rather hear your opinion.

Reply to Please Help With Corner Cut Of V-shaped Tile On Steps!! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen