Discuss Plastered Walls 20kg/sq.m in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

chr15athome

Hi,

I have a job to fit 600 x 300 Porcelain tiles to newly plastered walls, obviously I know that they are possibly over the limit of 20kg per square m.

They are 10mm thickness and I think a box of 1 sq.m weights 20Kg.

I need advice on the best way to prepare the walls for the tiles. Should I remove the plaster ( messy job) or screw some new plaster boards over the top?

Thanks

Chris

H

hillhead

if your just on the limit with addy and grout to go and the walls were good,ie no cracks etc i'd be tempted to go ahead! check the moisture to be sure its dry enough as you say its new! its a chance though !

C

chr15athome

Hi,

Its a walk-in shower 1.8m wide, 0.8m deep and 2.4m in height.

It is a timber stud wall, and feels very strong was plastered about 2 weeks ago so no worries on the moisture.

I think for the sake of say £20-30 of plasterboard it would be wise to overboard the walls.

Cheers

Chris

H

hillhead

Hi,

It is a timber stud wall, and feels very strong was plastered about 2 weeks ago so no worries on the moisture.

I think for the sake of say £20-30 of plasterboard it would be wise to overboard the walls.

Cheers

Chris
small area then def board,i thought it was bigger but go with what your comfortable with:thumbsup:

C

chr15athome

My only concern is that the tiled walls will standoff an additional 20mm ish than the rest of the untiled walls. Maybe I could do the main 2.4m x 1.8m wall with overboarding and leave the 0.8m returns?

Chris

H

hillhead

if you can get your hands on a 20mm flat trim(chrome etc) you could slip it vertically behind the board leaving the tile to fill the gap in behind?? there is ways of doing this sort of thing.

C

chr15athome

Trims are definately not wanted. I may just have to chip the plaster off of the 0.8m returns and overboard the back wall. Unless anyone else has a solution.

G

grumpygrouter

Hi,

Cheers

Chris
Just reboard it! won't take long...I assume you mean it has been skimmed?

P

Perry

if its stud walls cut the old plasterboard and plaster out and replace it with new plasterboard or backer board

C

chr15athome

Yeah just skimmed but what about the difference in the walls that are untiled I don't think it will look right. I could use a trim to cover the deeper tiled edge but I don't think the client will want that.

Thanks

Chris

T

Time's Ran Out

IMO your being too cautious.
What you are intending doing is not practical.Sticking another layer of plasterboard which is not waterproof onto a plastered wall and reducing the size is not the answer.
If its a walk in shower you would be better off spending your time and money on tanking the walls and giving the customer extra value.:thumbsup:

C

chr15athome

Removing the whole of the plaster and plaster boarding is definately unnecessary. Has anyone had to remove the skim before? Is it relatively easy, presume I would just knife around the area then remove it from the middle.

Thanks

Chris

C

chr15athome

Being too cautious, how do you mean?
Do you mean the tile weights?

Overboarding seems a suitable solution to me apart from the added thickness.

Chris

Reply to Plastered Walls 20kg/sq.m in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks