Search the forum,

Discuss Packing Out A Shower Wall in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

B

bouncerbloke

Hiya guys and gals,

Hope you can help me with an issue I've come across which is giving me a headache.

Due to a recent leak in our en-suite I had to rip it out completely back to the stud work. I located the leak, changed the pipework and now am at the stage to start re-building.

The problem I'm struggling with is the shower tray. The area it came out of is 810mm wide (stud to stud) but the tray itself is only 760mm x 760mm and has a lip on it which the tiles are supposed to sit over. Obviously I have a 50mm discrepancy between the two so would have to build the wall out with plasterboard so the tiles could sit inside the tray, is this possible or would I need to get a bigger tray? although I'm guessing an 800 x 800 would be too big with the area plasterboarded. Also I can only build one wall out because the opposite side is the entrance to the en-suite and the tiles would sit proud of the architraving around the door.

The last guy who fitted it sat the tiles on top of the lip rather than inside (which also caused a leak) so I'm guessing he had an issue with the dimensions too.

Hope I've explained this ok, any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

T

Tile Shop

Instead of plasterboard, why not do it in one hit with 50mm worth of marmox board?

30 one side and 20 the other.

T

Time's Ran Out

Add extra batons to the stud and either use water resistant plasterboard or go the whole 9 yards and use wedi board in 12mm+.

B

bouncerbloke

Thanks for the replies fellas. There was 3 layers of plasterboard on one wall so both of these suggestions are a massive improvement on what I've just ripped out. I'll get the wife to do some costings and let her make the decision. ;)
Thanks again for your help.
Steve.

B

bouncerbloke

just a question,how would an 800 tray be too big if you allready have 810?

The gap I have now, without boarding is 810mm Jim (stud to stud). If I board it even with 9.5mm plasterboard each side that would only leave me with a space of 791mm. The tray that came out (and is going back in) is only 760mm which is why I need to build the wall out.

F

Flintstone

The gap I have now, without boarding is 810mm Jim (stud to stud). If I board it even with 9.5mm plasterboard each side that would only leave me with a space of 791mm. The tray that came out (and is going back in) is only 760mm which is why I need to build the wall out.

That would only be 19mm of tray to loose over two walls, probably not too much to ask?

Or if you are keeping with the tray you have, as said, a thick wedi type board would be good, and water proof

Reply to Packing Out A Shower Wall in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen