Search the forum,

Discuss old style victorian tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mark c

hello all,

will be starting work on my own house in the next couple of weeks,
just basic tiling apart from the hall/entrance which the missus wants done in the old 4inch diamond victorian style,borders the works.

have been a tiler for a good few years so it should be ok.

but,

its my house so has to be perfect or i'm in trouble.

so any tips would be great as i have never done this type of tiling before.

cheers

B

basshunter

id be tempted to dry lay to get the layout spot on.

sounds like a nice challenge!enjoy

M

mark c

what would be the best fixing method,ie normal adhesive or a concrete screed because would'nt be able to use much more than an 8mm trowel.has anyone done this kind of tiling before?

D

DHTiling

hello mark.....i have done a few geometric type floors........Original style do some very nice designs.......if you are using a border then this needs to be positioned first and then the outside bits and then in-fill the middle.....just depends on the design really........have a look at some of the designs from there site.....you can buy them from CTD as well.........Might be worthwhile using a slow setting adhesive to allow you to adjust if needed.........

Here is alink to some of there designs and fixing guides.........

http://www.originalstyle.com/technical_guides.htm

good luck...

M

mark c

thanks dave

that guide was very helpfull.

not too sure about using a 3 to 6mm trowell as stated.

had better make sure the floor is perfect and level before i start me thinks.

thanks again :thumbsup:

mark

M

mark c

yep will be cutting the borders myself should be fun with the mitred corners and so on.

T

theyomper

Having laid a couple 'Victorian floors' now, the last being approx 6 square metres with close on 1800 individual tiles. I would suggest that you spend the time to ensure that the floor is as near perfect as you can get it, draw out the design of the floor to scale, spend time setting out and dry cut the tiles. Once you are happy lay the border first, then infil the field. I normally used a 4-5 mm trowel and tap the tiles down lightly with a flat surface, once I have laid an area normally with a piece of ply or similar. I also have a large quantity of spacers to hand (2mm). Once finished seal and grout with a wet mix going over twice or as required. Wash off and re seal. Have fun as it is very rewarding to see the finished result. The Yomper

Reply to old style victorian tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen