Discuss New bathroom, a little advice needed please. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello all!!

This is my first thread and no doubt the content will be what you have all seen and answered many times previously, so apologies in advance!

To give you a little background... I am a builder in Manchester, by trade I am a bricklayer, but handy at a few things, apart from electrical and plumbing. Today I have ripped out my en suite at home, new porcelain tiles purchased with new shower, toilet and sink etc. Tiles came of quite easily, with a little bit of odd damage to shower cubicle, nothing major. However, I am having to build out the wall with 2” x 1” timber and then plasterboard as the shower I have purchased is recessed. My question is... should is just plasterboard and tile, plasterboard skim and tile, ply then tile or any other alternative? I’ve read that I should tank maybe? Should I tank the whole cubicle? You can see on the picture that is the wall that is my concern. Any help and advice gratefully received. If any of you ever need any bricklaying advice I’d be only too happy to advise...
Thanks
Steven

Attachments

• image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31

Wayne Brown

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Various ways of doing it bud what tiles are going on the walls ? It's all to do with the weight your putting on the wall that will determine the method used and prep I would probably advise removing the plasterboard and replace with tile backerboard adding fixings every 300mm our sponsor the wetroom store can supply all you need . Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190817-200416.png
    401.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20190817-200509.png
    377.8 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
Cheers Wayne, they’re porcelain tiles, can’t remember exact dimensions and can’t check as not being delivered till weds, I’ve attached a picture if that helps...

Attachments

• 1815D9BC-40BE-4D5C-BE93-10EE4EAFC739.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 22

Wayne Brown

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Gonna be very heavy bud got to be as I have advised the rienforced foam backer boards plenty of manufacturer's out there Thermopanel, Wedi, Marmox, to name a few, other option is 12mm Hardie backer cement board

Reply to New bathroom, a little advice needed please. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks