Search the forum,

Discuss Negotiating and price matching? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Peter

How many here price high to knock money off or offer to beat other quotes? From talking to a few tilers round my way lately they all seem to be asking the customer what prices they've got and beating them providing they're still getting a decent wage. I am the other way round where I submit my price and leave them to it, but am I missing a trick here?

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I don't do a lot of domestic work but when I do I won't budge on my price. I've had to negotiate a few times on the contract stuff though

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
I'm with you Peter, I just give them my price and leave them to it. I am not interested in matching, beating or even knowing what the other guy's get. I currently have a guy following me on quotes and just halving my price. If the customer goes with him good luck to em i've seen his work and he has no longevity. If your busy, have a good reputation, and are happy with what you earn it's all good. Price wars etc lead to one thing........ Hassle and the potential to go belly up i reckon.....

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
i price a job and leave it with them too, don't even ask what other quotes they have had, and most wouldn't tell you anyway, or just give you a silly price and expect you to beat it..

I

Ian

I always submit my best price from the start. The way I look at it, if you come down on your original quote, it looks like you were trying it on to start with trying to get a bit extra.

Reaction score
We give a price and stick to it always.....we had one recently who said we were expensive then told us the price of a competitor which was a lot cheaper ! we did not change our price to compete ,but later when we looked at it again there was no-way they could even go in at there price ,so we concluded the customer was just playing -us -off........

P

prceramics

Send them quote by email take it or leave it but make sure it's really detailed so they can compare

T

The D

I will always negotiate but never go silly if they want it cheap as chips they can always get the plasterer or the plumber to have a go lol

D

dave l and l

I'm with you Peter, I just give them my price and leave them to it. I am not interested in matching, beating or even knowing what the other guy's get. I currently have a guy following me on quotes and just halving my price. If the customer goes with him good luck to em i've seen his work and he has no longevity. If your busy, have a good reputation, and are happy with what you earn it's all good. Price wars etc lead to one thing........ Hassle and the potential to go belly up i reckon.....

have you not spoke to this guy and told him to beat it
also price is the price no haggling

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
have you not spoke to this guy and told him to beat it
also price is the price no haggling
No i'm not really interested in speaking to him, his work is doing enough speaking, his latest is greenstar (his favourite) dot and dabbed 600 x 300 porcelain with underfloor heating. It failed...........

Reply to Negotiating and price matching? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen