Search the forum,

Discuss My biggest tiling job yet in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Carl Haynes

Hi people. I've just joined this forum and need some advice on tiling a 200m square floor. It is a garage floor which is pretty square and was wondering about adhesive, grout and expansion straps. In layman's terms please. I'm not very technically minded. Thanks in advance.

T

Time's Ran Out

It's a big one to get yourself back into the tiling game!
What's the surface at present?
What type of garage - showroom, workshop....?
What size/type of tile?
Are there expansion joints in the substrate?
Just a few question to ignite the conversation.

C

Carl Haynes

Tell me about it. I did a 40m square floor in a barn conversion a few weeks ago but that was corridor, hallway, entrance hall,cloakroom etc. Anyway this garage is for a pretty well off guy to show off his collection of Aston Martins. So he'll obviously drive on and off it a bit.
Haven't seen the tiles yet but I know they're 909mm square and I think they're porcelain. The substrate is a 50mm flow screed over 120mm kingspan insulation with about a metres width of water pipe underfloor heating round the edge. There are no expansion joints in the substrate. Appreciate your help on this one mate.

J

Just Rizzle

900 x 900 to drive cars over you need perfectly flat floor and100percent solid bed as your going to have 2tons of car parked and running over it.
from what you said about how the floor is made up id give this one a miss. the movement is going to crack the tiles even with 100 percent coverage, theres goingto betoo much stress on the tiles with all the insulation beneath it and only 50 mm screed

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Italy

900 x 900 to drive cars over you need perfectly flat floor and100percent solid bed as your going to have 2tons of car parked and running over it.
from what you said about how the floor is made up id give this one a miss. the movement is going to crack the tiles even with 100 percent coverage, theres goingto betoo much stress on the tiles with all the insulation beneath it and only 50 mm screed
same,
900mm square, could also be 30x30 cm?

Rosco100

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Lots of stress on a 900x900,Never do garage or showroom floors with anything bigger than a 600x600,You also need to get the contractor to cut expansion joints in the floor to the depth of the pipes and use proper heavy duty expansion joints

O

One Day

I don't think you need expansion joints in an anhydrite screed as the expansion rates are incredibly low compared to s&c.

Reply to My biggest tiling job yet in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen