Discuss Most used tile supplier in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, thought it was about time for another poll.

Please vote for the 1 or 2 tile suppliers you use most and then tell us why by replying to the thread.

If the tile supplier / outlet you use most isn't listed, reply to the thread and tag me in the post and let me know their name, and I'll add them to the poll for you and tag you back so you can vote for them.

We'll leave this poll running for a while so we get a good gauge over a while. You can change your votes if you change your most used supplier.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

p4ulo

I must admit I point most customers the way of Topps. Espec if they've got a triple or quadruple your Tesco points offer on. I did a kitchen splashback for a mate a while ago, he paid a tenner for all tiles due to offers!!

I

Ian

I tend to steer clear of supplying tiles these days, for the vast majority of my fixing materials I order full pallets of tilemaster gear from Tile Town as they are extremely well priced. I also use ctd in Nottingham as I do a lot of my work in that area so it's the most local place if I need something quickly.

S

Spare Tool

Harp ceramics in Colne for me Dan, all Webber stockist and there choice of tiles is way different to your average tile shed. The owner loaded 15 bags of leveler and addy on his van for us yesterday and met him at half 7 this morning on the way to a job to transfer it to our van..you don't get service like that from your Topps etc..get plenty of work through them too, so its only fair to send customers there for there tiles.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Harp ceramics in Colne for me Dan, all Webber stockist and there choice of tiles is way different to your average tile shed. The owner loaded 15 bags of leveler and addy on his van for us yesterday and met him at half 7 this morning on the way to a job to transfer it to our van..you don't get service like that from your Topps etc..get plenty of work through them too, so its only fair to send customers there for there tiles.
Harp Ceramics added.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I worked for Topps.
I did that sort of stuff. Helped a tiler remove carpet once half a day, even stuck it in our bin.

Very good customer though and he was stuck.

That's the thing with nationals. You rely on your staff and / or training and its pot luck.

With locals, and this reinstates a fair bit of feedback we've all read on here about the likes of Tile Town and other independents, most the staff if not all are spot on and tend to know their customers well.

And it pays.

I've always said get on with your local shops, because they can look after you big time.

I digress.

Added @Andystiletiling anyway.

S

Spare Tool

I worked for Topps.
I did that sort of stuff. Helped a tiler remove carpet once half a day, even stuck it in our bin.

Very good customer though and he was stuck.

That's the thing with nationals. You rely on your staff and / or training and its pot luck.

With locals, and this reinstates a fair bit of feedback we've all read on here about the likes of Tile Town and other independents, most the staff if not all are spot on and tend to know their customers well.

And it pays.

I've always said get on with your local shops, because they can look after you big time.

I digress.

Added @Andystiletiling anyway.
Well you were obviously a rose amongst pleanty of thorns cuz I've really tried hard to get on with my local tile giant and Topps and the feeling I get in there is like their doing me a favour by giving me a bit of trade discount on materials...what's your postcode, where's your trade card. Its just not personal. Whereas I walk into my local shop and they know me, bit of banter with the staff and we put the kettle on...much more relaxed imo anyway :)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I was tea boy back then too.

Make a banging brew I do. :D

To be fair it was a long time ago now. I bet some still do it. But point I was making is you can almost guarantee it every time with some of the independents.

It starts to get hard for a big firm to use their personal touch as their selling point.

Independents will almost always have that touch.
And let's be honest, they're basically what 9-5 office people call staff, guys who run small businesses treat their connected small businesses the same. And we get on with them, know their birthdays, go out with them, etc etc

You HAVE to have that in your businesses as a small businesses or else you can start to feel a bit alone lol

Big firms do the buying power and deals thing.

W

White Room

Started to use Apex Grange who deliver as well, good prices for Tilemaster Setaflex standard white.

My previous supplier changed to Norcross, N&C are chasing for me to purchase their addy.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Started to use Apex Grange who deliver as well, good prices for Tilemaster Setaflex standard white.

My previous supplier changed to Norcross, N&C are chasing for me to purchase their addy.

Apex Grange added.

Tilemaster are being talked about a lot just lately. We could do with one of their guys on here a bit more maybe. Also more tile shops stocking their stuff?

S

Spare Tool

"Big firms do the buying deals thing"
Sorry don't know how to highlight a single line but..
My local "Harp" is the only tile shop in a god knows radius that deals direct with Webber, any other local independent cannot get a look in and have to buy via CTD or the like which adds at least another 10% on to the trade price of materials, that 10% adds up over the year to my profits. As an example, i was doing a job in Burnley last week and tile giant was only down the the road and just wanted 1 bag of white flexi and even at trade it was double the price I normally pay for the same spec Webber. After arguing the toss for ten minutes he knocked £7 off the bag but had to mark it down as a ripped bag just to justify the reduction to head office, I even said this is why I don't buy my materials in here...we don't make the prices he says. With their buying power it should be 'the' first choice for trade, all wrong if you ask me!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
If you highlight the text you want to quote, you get a tiny pop up and then you click reply. It will quote that part only dead easy.

(I'm not teaching people to suck eggs here, my style is to not ram guides down your throats. It's to tell you when there's a quicker way for you to do it.)

As for the thread, is harp not a small / independent firm then?

Reply to Most used tile supplier in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks