Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Mosaic in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

DIYMARK

TF
Reaction score
Will be using a vertical strip of mosaic 33cm wide in a bathroom. What is the best way to apply?
I am thinking top down to get the tiles right at the top of the wall but will they hold?

Reaction score
I usally use 1pt flex addy but you could try bal mosaic fix.
330mm is quite a wide strip so your prep work will be important.
I usually start from the bottom and work up, doing my mosaics border during or after my main wall tiles are fitted. Find this helps keep the mosaics nice and flat and level with the main tiles.
3t.jpg 009.jpg

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
you will want to look into the dog tooth method through searching here depending on the thickness of your mosaics. use a white adhesive, I love bal mosaic fix but its very expensive, however you can buy a 5kg bag.

C

Clydesider

I'm doing a very similar job to the O.P. - I've fitted the main tiles left and right, and dog-toothed 311mm wide x 12mm deep. Full strip will be 2.4m high. My question is on which Addy to use - I was under the impression that 'mosaic fix' etc is just a bit of a sales gimmick product because it dries a brilliant white, as opposed to just a 'normal' white that standard adhesive dries ? Thoughts guys ?

I also intended starting at the bottom, and using pins under the top row in each sheet as I went up ?

O

Old Mod

Mosaic adhesive generally dries brilliant white for a reason
These two pics are the same tile, both pics taken at same time with identical lighting conditions. Difference is one is placed on brilliant white surface the other, on a piece of black marble!

a9u8ysub.jpg

eqama6a6.jpg

A lot of mosaic can be slightly translucent. So if u use a darker adhesive the true colour will not be reflected.
And personally, if conditions allow, I'll start my mosaic around eye level (that way the mosaic that immediately catch the eye are perfect) and hang them as opposed to bottom up. Working in horizontal rows of two. I find they maintain their shape better. Unless they are very heavy and sag in middle. But your setting out has to be pin point or it'll end in tears. Haha
We all have our own technique with mosaic, do it how u feel comfortable, that'd be my advice.

Reaction score
Mosaic adhesive generally dries brilliant white for a reason
These two pics are the same tile, both pics taken at same time with identical lighting conditions. Difference is one is placed on brilliant white surface the other, on a piece of black marble!

a9u8ysub.jpg

eqama6a6.jpg

A lot of mosaic can be slightly translucent. So if u use a darker adhesive the true colour will not be reflected.
And personally, if conditions allow, I'll start my mosaic around eye level (that way the mosaic that immediately catch the eye are perfect) and hang them as opposed to bottom up. Working in horizontal rows of two. I find they maintain their shape better. Unless they are very heavy and sag in middle. But your setting out has to be pin point or it'll end in tears. Haha
We all have our own technique with mosaic, do it how u feel comfortable, that'd be my advice.

Small-tip, skim the wall /sub straight with white adhesive first.......:thumbsup:

C

charlie1

An alternative method would be to 'cast' the mosaics in question the night before using white rapid by lightly (1-2mm) skimming the back of each sheet laying them face down on a very flat surface over night. The next day, your mosaic sheets will be tiles

T

The D

An alternative method would be to 'cast' the mosaics in question the night before using white rapid by lightly (1-2mm) skimming the back of each sheet laying them face down on a very flat surface over night. The next day, your mosaic sheets will be tiles
you have to be kidding yes ??

T

The D

Nothing m8 if that's how you do it I just thought you was kidding it's not something I have ever head befor or seen done.

Reply to Mosaic in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks