Search the forum,

Discuss Mosaic trowel in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Turkish

Hi, i need to get a trowel for mosaics as have a job coming up in May with mosaics. I like to buy RUBI and i`ve seen 2 trowels, one is 3mm one is 4.5mm. What in everyones opinion is the best all round one to get cos i can`t really warrant buying 2?

Cheers

Turkish

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
4.5 will help get over a bumpy surface - using a bit more adhesive.

3 will help you keep the adhesive down but can be almost useless on a bumpy wall.

D

David - Tradetiler

If the mosaics are thin you might get unwanted adhesive coming up through the joints with the 4.5 mm. Trouble with mosaics is when you try and clean the adhesive away the mosaics go all over the place.

Try to work as cleanly as you can with mosaics or you will get frustrated pretty quick

G

grumpygrouter

I've got one of each. They are not really that expensive and if you want to lay something like ditra, the 3mm is useful for that as well.

S

sWe

I prefer a 3mm square notch trowel for mosaics. 4-4,5mm can turn into a messy affair with most common mosaics if you're not careful.

If it's a wall, and it's is uneven or bumpy, I skim it with adhesive first, leveling it so to speak. If it's a floor, I use SLC if it's bumpy or what not. I then proceed with the 3mm trowel.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

If the mosaic are thin I tend to put the addy on with the flat edge of the trowel, Most at 2mm tend's to stop adhesive squeezing thru the joints.

D

DHTiling

The walls want to be flat with mosaics anyway.... A bumpy wall will show more with mosaics, especially in the corners etc.........:thumbsup:

D

davy_G

3mm for me. If the surface isnt flat the mosaics wont be either. Spend time sorting out walls by plastering them first with bagged stuff.

S

sWe

Just bought a Hoffmann 3mm trowel, very comfortable to use.

I use Hoffmann trowels too!!!!!1 :grin: Enthusiasm aside, yeah, they're damn comfortable. I used to wield trowels with wooden handles, but my elbows and fingers took a real beating from them. Switched to Hoffmann (with a few exceptions), and bam, joint problems went the way of the Dodo.

Reply to Mosaic trowel in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Manufacturer specified 3mm bed for these large format (2.4x1.2m) tiles, and that's what the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’ve a fairly basic question I thinks, hope someone can help me out with. I’m...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen