Search the forum,

Discuss moisture resistant platserboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

negsy26

hi guys, tiling a bathroom soon in a 1st floor flat, the bathroom has no window and it has moisture resistant plasterboard all round.its not got a bath but will have a shower. customer syas he doesnt want to pay out the massive expense ( about £50!! ) for a tanking system in shower area when he says that his plasterboard is moisture resistant and will be good enough. im not sure about this at all but really dont want to loose the job as he could be quite a good contact, i think he really needs the tanking system but what do you guys think? and also do you prime moisture resistant plasterboard?

T

tkm18

Its what it says, its resistant, its certainly not waterproof.

If you want it waterproof, it'll need tp be tanked.\

And i think it only needs primed of youre using a cement based addy.

D

davy_G

Tank it, or dont do it. First floor flat, imagine the mess on the ground floor if there is a leak, or the state of the plasterboard over time.:thumbsdown:
You could just price it in and dont tell them your tanking it and do it anyway.
Iye prime the plasterboard.

Also explain that not wanting to pay for something just because you dont see it or immediately see the benefit of it is very shortsighted. Why bother doing a bathroom up at all then?

Also your reputation is on the line here, your the tiler, do it under your terms or not at all.

Good luck

N

negsy26

yeah thats sound advice i dont really know what the guys thinking is! its gonna be tanking in the shower area or he can get someone else to do that bit !! so a standard acryllic primer is cool for moisture resist p-board then?

beanz

TF
Reaction score
I wouldn't force the issue, it's his decision. I'd xplain the benefits of tanking, and that moisture resistant plaster board isn't meant for showers, but i wouldn't throw a job away over it!?!

P

Perry

no you don't need to prime it if you are using -based on the cement green one but you will be best to use spf as the moisture resistant surface wont adhere as well as the ordinary plaster board I always advise my customers not to use it :pete

C

Colour Republic

have you not got a bit of tanking left from an old job? get two bits of the same board, coat one piece up, then dunk both bits in some water and give them to him. As mentioned before don't push him but explain at the cost it's a no brainer

D

david campbell

i would also suggest an expelair,a bathroom with no ventilation and no tanking isn't the greatest scenario,personally i would explain to the customer therte would be no comebacks if dampness progressed through to the plasterboard as the moisture will sit on the tiles and grout and over time eventually penetrate through,but then you wouldn't have a leg to stand on if he took you to court as you know better and have carried on with a job that does't meet satisfactory requirements!
leave it well alone!!!!!!!!!!!

N

negsy26

i like the idea of getting a bit of the board and dunking it in water !! im gonna give that a go. and after all the advice on here im leaving well alone if he still insists.

Reply to moisture resistant platserboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We are redoing our bathroom and had a long discussion on tanking with our handyman who does...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I need some advice please. I recently had a contractor in to remodel my bathroom...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen