Search the forum,

Discuss Marmox V Hardiebacker or Brick Wall in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

GoEasy

Hello all,

I'm undecided about Tiling on Brick wall.

The fitter has agreed to remove remaining layer of mortar back to the Brick Wall.

I am in no doubt there will be areas on the Brick Wall that will bear some minor damage.

The issue is, do I get the damaged parts filled in before tiling straight on to it? (if the wall is straight ish or,

Do I ask the fiter to Dot and Dab Marmox 12mm thick Boards or 6mm Hardi Backer Board on to a bed of Adhesive?

My Tiles are Marble 12mm thick, so a bit on the heavy side. Marmox website recommends 20mm thick boards.

My real question is are Marmox as good as Cement Boards in terms if their strength and rigidity.

I would prefer sticking one or two large boards to fill up the wall rather than having about 3 Marmox or 6 Hardi Backer Boards. Any recommendations?

Attachments

• 20130527_202823.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 87

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
In this instance i always believe in mechanical fixing. Id probably go down the route of a timber framework which you can level out over any lumps and bumps in the brickwork. You can then insulate and fix 12mm hardie to the frame. This setup will accept in excess of 100kg psm.
I don't believe you can dot and dab hardie directly anyway.

I

ian158

have you fixed aqua panel straight on those joints ? if so what is the spacing between joist..aquapanel is not suitable for flooring given the centre on those joist ! forget that I just realised the picture is all scew whiff :lol:

G

GoEasy

have you fixed aqua panel straight on those joints ? if so what is the spacing between joist..aquapanel is not suitable for flooring given the centre on those joist ! forget that I just realised the picture is all scew whiff :lol:

:prrr:

G

GoEasy

As above.
Given the choice of board i would use marmox on the wall as it is waterproof.

I am really keen on the 12mm thick Marmox due to it being water proof and the insulation properties and the fact that I will save at least £30 against Hardi Backer

I see it can withstand tonnes of ground weight but there is no reference on the Technical data as regards what weight it can carry on Walls.

Marmox don't look as rigid as cement board hence my concerns.

G

GoEasy

If anyone is interested the Following is a reply from Marmox.

Our 12.5mm board can hold up to 62KG per M[SUP]2[/SUP] on the wall.

Hope this answers your question, but if you have anymore queries please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Regards
Martin Bass

C:\Users\HP\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg

Marmox UK Ltd
Caxton House, 101 - 103 Hopewell Drive, Chatham, ME5 7NP

T: 01634 835290
F: 01634 835299
E: [email protected]
W: http://www.marmox.co.uk

J

JamesHardie

Here are the installation instructions for Hardiebacker to masonry wall. The product will hold up to to 100kg sq meter. Below are the installation instructions for your reference.

MASONRY WALL INSTALLATION
HardieBacker® EZ Grid® 6mm Cement Backerboard should be used on top of masonry walls. Maximum load carrying weight is 100kg/m2.
1. ENSURE WALL IS SOUND, CLEAN, DRY AND READY TO RECEIVE 6MM CEMENT BACKERBOARD
• The rear of HardieBacker® EZ Grid® 6mm must be wiped
down to remove dust.
• All existing old dry lining should be removed as it has potential to fail further.
2. USE A HIGH STRENGTH GAP FILLING ADHESIVE
• Place 3 vertical 10-12mm beads of high strength, single part, gap filling cartridge adhesive, evenly down the back of
the board.
• Press board firmly against the wall into the desired position.
3. FASTEN 6MM CEMENT BACKERBOARD WITH MASONRY ANCHORS
• Fasten HardieBacker® 6mm EZ Grid® with 9 (min 6mm x 60mm) masonry anchors with self-embedding head. Screws should remain 100mm from the top and bottom edges and 50mm from the left and right edges. (Ensure min 50mm embedment into the wall).
• Do not overdrive the anchor; it must be flush with the face of the HardieBacker® EZ Grid® 6mm.
4. TAPE JOINTS PRIOR TO TILING
• Prior to setting the tiles, embed 50mm alkaline resistant Fibatape across joints and feather tile adhesive to leave a 150mm wide joint.

For any further questions feel free to call the customer service number at 0800 068 3103.

Reply to Marmox V Hardiebacker or Brick Wall in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen