Search the forum,

Discuss liquid damp proof membrane help please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

peckers

Hi guys and girls, i need to apply a liquid dpm to a screeded floor as the floor has no dpm in it and it is damp.
the floor was covered in lino and under that is a black bitumen paint onto a screeded floor.

I am tiling it with porcelain tiles but i need to cure the damp issue first!

I have been looking at mapei mapeproof esm and ardex dpm
has anyone used either or does anyone else know of another product that can be used?

thanks steve...

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
used Ardex DPM before but not sure if it can go over Bitumen. I used lots of different ones in my time. Most epoxy DPM's are pretty easy to use and most are very similar to use. I would go for a one coat system if possible. Quicker and easier IMO and less risk of 2 coats coming apart.

Merlin COatings might be worth a call as the guy who runs that used to wok in petrochemicals so will know for sure its compatibility with Bitumen. Other than that, flowcrete, tremco, laybond, all have DPM's available

P

peckers

used Ardex DPM before but not sure if it can go over Bitumen. I used lots of different ones in my time. Most epoxy DPM's are pretty easy to use and most are very similar to use. I would go for a one coat system if possible. Quicker and easier IMO and less risk of 2 coats coming apart.

Merlin COatings might be worth a call as the guy who runs that used to wok in petrochemicals so will know for sure its compatibility with Bitumen. Other than that, flowcrete, tremco, laybond, all have DPM's available
thanks ajax i was hopeing you was on here watching, and yes both mapei and ardex have stated that area must be clean etc on there data sheets. that was the next question best way to remove this covering scabbling perhaps???

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
How big an area is it? you might be better with a grinder than a scabbler. Truble with scabbling it is very aggressive and can crack and damage screeds if they are not hard enough.....

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just looked at the Merlin data sheet. That says must be clean and free of grease and oil etc so cleaning it up is the way to go.

Would uncoupling be better than DPM - not sure.....

P

peckers

Just looked at the Merlin data sheet. That says must be clean and free of grease and oil etc so cleaning it up is the way to go.

Would uncoupling be better than DPM - not sure.....
the area is 20m2 i did think about grinding it but thought it would clog up the disc/brushes in no time at all rendering it useless, was wondering if there was a solvent i could use woulld be messy though

wheres dave when you need him he would know about a decoupler. my only thoughts on this is that ditra is meant to stop moisture from the top not underneath although it does allow for vapour to pass threw but as this floor area is constantly damp im not sure if this would work?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
the area is 20m2 i did think about grinding it but thought it would clog up the disc/brushes in no time at all rendering it useless, was wondering if there was a solvent i could use woulld be messy though

wheres dave when you need him he would know about a decoupler. my only thoughts on this is that ditra is meant to stop moisture from the top not underneath although it does allow for vapour to pass threw but as this floor area is constantly damp im not sure if this would work?

Not sure that is quite right but not going to argue as thinking about it they are not good for rising damp so maybe not such a good idea. :oops:
Have seen a few threads previously on this but can't work out how to search them. Think most of them settled on the hand grinder idea.

R

Rob Z

Peckers, I mentioned this on another thread...this is what I have access to here, but Ajax suggested I check out Euclid for their vapor reduction coatings. One reason that I like Laticrete 312 is that is made by a tile setting products company with the tile job in mind. I've seen other prodiucts which aren't necessarily designed to set tile directly over them.

LATICRETE® International > Architects > Products > Vapor Reduction

D

DHTiling

Hi Peckers mate..

You need to remove the bitumen coating..then apply a liquid DPM..

No way around it for a long lasting cure.

These 2 grinder attachments from tradetiler will help with this clean up..

Cupped Diamond Wheel

Fits standard type 115 mm angle grinders (100 mm x 22.2mm bore.)

Ideal for grinding away bumps in uneven concrete floors and keying old tiles or terrazzo before tiling

Wire Brush for Angle Grinder

A very aggressive wire brush for use in an angle grinder - You will be amazed how fast this works!

Use to remove all kinds of unwanted paint, adhesive, rust and other surface contaminants etc

Very good for 'keying' smooth surfaces.

- Hardend & twisted 0.5 mm steel strands
- 75 mm Diameter
- Standard M14 thread (fits all standard angle grinders)
- Max speed 12,500 Rpm

In this instance a slurry coat will not help in the keying process.

So you deffo need to clean the substrate first..:thumbsup:

P

peckers

Peckers, I mentioned this on another thread...this is what I have access to here, but Ajax suggested I check out Euclid for their vapor reduction coatings. One reason that I like Laticrete 312 is that is made by a tile setting products company with the tile job in mind. I've seen other prodiucts which aren't necessarily designed to set tile directly over them.

LATICRETE® International > Architects > Products > Vapor Reduction
thanks for the link but i cant find anywhere in the uk for this company they all seem to be in the states any ideas? I am currently looking at all options, thanks

Reply to liquid damp proof membrane help please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen