Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Leveling Compounds in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DHTiling

Brief description on the use of leveling compounds......dave....

Leveling compounds are ideal for smoothing out a subfloor prior to installing floor tiles.
Leveling compounds are cement based and are easy to apply. They will adhere well to both concrete and wood surfaces.

To ensure that the floor surface is level and rigid, a leveling compound may be needed, The leveling compound can be added to the floor to adjust for any dips in the subfloor.
The subfloor should be clean and dust free, prior to applying a leveling compound to your subfloor. If it is not, you may get a poor bond between the leveling compound and the subfloor.

Use the straight edge, to check how much leveling compound you will need, by running it over the surface of the subfloor to see how flat it is.
Note that leveling compounds set quickly. it is best to mix up small batches at a time.Start with your lowest points first and infill to get a nice level floor..

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

You have to wait until its dry. This can be different times depending on manufacturer

S

sWe

once the leveling compound has set can the tiles be layed or will you weight
till its dry?
Stephen

It varies between manufacturers... Many products are ok to tile onto after 24-48h, depending on layer thickness, but some require a full week or more to cure and dry out properly. You can compensate for that by chosing products which suit your time frames.

Bear in mind, that if you use a leveling compound which is tileable after 24h, it'll still need to dry out fully before you can waterproof it, unless you use a waterproofing compund which allows for vapor diffusion (the type you use on surfaces with rising damp).

Always read the specs and guidelines the manufacturer prints on the bags.

For additional pointers on SLC, check out my guides thread (link in my signature).

M

mike111

Need advice, stripped back some laminate flooring before laying tiles only to find that where the patio doors are there is about a six inch strip the length of the doors that is damp and also needs to be self levelled to a depth of 10mm.
Is there a slc that has waterproofing in it , any advice please,Mike.

W

White Room

I'd want to find where the damp is coming from just in case when the tiles are laid it returns

M

mike111

The area was a window, then was replaced with patiodoors, so i think the dampcourse on the bricks has gone, need to find a solution,thanks mike.

D

davy_G

how much are you chaps paying for slc?

I can get a bag of ardex low amonia latex for about 50 quid
I can get a bag of Technik (stinking) latex for a tenner plus vat.

The technik stuff is not as good as the Ardex but then at 40 quid cheeper i make do.

What you chaps paying?

I have used the gear you mix with water at about 25 quid a bag but in my opinion its not as good as the gear mixed with latex.

G

graham31

Am i right in thinking that with SLC you pour onto the floor and it will find it's own level or is their some spreading involved?

Never used the stuff before surprisingly

P

pt44

CTD - do dunlop slc for around £12 per bag. Mixed with water. (I thought that it still contained latex - but maybe I'm wrong in that thought). Works well enough, though will only do 20mm max according to the packet.

Also takes a couple of days to dry if its at least 1cm thick.

Paul

F

faithhealer

Sure is, Not only protects the wires whilst tiling, but because you can trowel properly (ie apply pressure) there is more chance of your floor being flat. (A continuity check on your UFH wires every now and again gives peace of mind knowing that the wires haven't been damaged)
good luck with your project.

Reply to Leveling Compounds in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks