Search the forum,

Discuss Leveling Compounds in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davy_G

how much are you chaps paying for slc?

I can get a bag of ardex low amonia latex for about 50 quid
I can get a bag of Technik (stinking) latex for a tenner plus vat.

The technik stuff is not as good as the Ardex but then at 40 quid cheeper i make do.

What you chaps paying?

I have used the gear you mix with water at about 25 quid a bag but in my opinion its not as good as the gear mixed with latex.

G

graham31

Am i right in thinking that with SLC you pour onto the floor and it will find it's own level or is their some spreading involved?

Never used the stuff before surprisingly

P

pt44

CTD - do dunlop slc for around £12 per bag. Mixed with water. (I thought that it still contained latex - but maybe I'm wrong in that thought). Works well enough, though will only do 20mm max according to the packet.

Also takes a couple of days to dry if its at least 1cm thick.

Paul

F

faithhealer

Sure is, Not only protects the wires whilst tiling, but because you can trowel properly (ie apply pressure) there is more chance of your floor being flat. (A continuity check on your UFH wires every now and again gives peace of mind knowing that the wires haven't been damaged)
good luck with your project.

S

Spud

Am i right in thinking that with SLC you pour onto the floor and it will find it's own level or is their some spreading involved?

Never used the stuff before surprisingly
it doesnt find its own level unless you stop up any where it can run away this normally means damming areas with sand and mixing up enough self leveller to rise above the high spots it is a very expensive way of levelling floors only works really well if there are hollows in the floors as opposed to bumps which must be ground out to achieve a really good finish imo

C

cjp1

Stopgap 300 waterbased is about as good as you will get for a self smoothing screed in my opinion,at about £18 to £20 a bag. A 25kg bag will do approx 4 - 5 m2. I prime the sub floor with a suitable primer (stopgap 121), let the primer fully dry, mix the powder with 5.5 to 5.75 litres of cold water pour the mix onto the subfloor direct the compound with a trowel and roll it with a spiked roller if you wish.
It will normally be dry enough to walk on in 4 - 6 hours and is usually ready to lay on the following day (providing conditions are good).:thumbsup:
I have been using this for some time for fitting karndean, Amtico and various hard floorcoverings and have used it on quite a few tiled floors now with good results.

Cheers Chris.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

quackfly

if a poor floor has to be leveled either with boards or self leveling, thus raising the finish level of the tiled floor, how can a 'trip' be avoided when entering the room?:dizzy2:

Reply to Leveling Compounds in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen