Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Laura Ashley Mr Jones floor tiles discolouring after being laid in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
It’ll all be Chinese......

At least the diamond blades will be good.

God help us.

OP
D

Deleted member 51507

If you have no luck with homebase, go direct to the BCT QA team. They're usually pretty helpful.
Not the greatest of tiles but this is not a normal quality issue. Its an actual fault. Who is your supplier? Send them pictures and they should get BCT involved. BCT had glazing issues on a production run and have confirmed 20-30% of the batch are faulty. We've had a couple of cases raised and BCT covered all the tile and fixing costs to get them all replaced.

So I contacted Homebase who in turn contacted BCT and sent all my photos. They have said they do not take responsibility for shade variation of tiles fixed as should be noticed prior to laying as per statement on boxes.
My dispute is that they have since gone discoloured bar 3 or 4. They looked lovely whilst laying, it's peculiar but found other comments on instagram of people saying similar things about staining but no response from BCT. The ones that haven't changed colour actually feel smoother. It's like the discoloured ones are not properly glazed.
I have insisted they come to inspect as I am not happy and I wondered if anyone could help by providing more info regarding this fault. I am waiting to hear back.
I actually love the tiles but have lost confidence in having any more of them.
Thanks in advance.

OP
D

Dumbo

I don't honestly think that just because they write that on the box It makes it a legally binding contract between bct and you. After all why should the person fixing the tiles be bct's last line of quality control .

OP
D

Deleted member 51507

I agree and its a good point. I understand they have a policy but it's no excuse for shoddy customer service when there is an issue.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
BCT didn't care about my floor tile problem or should I say my customers, in the end it cost me hundreds of pounds out of my own pocket to put right. They washed their hands of me.
I tell all my customers now to avoid BCT under all circumstances. No way I'm fitting any more.

OP
D

Dumbo

What happened to all that stuff wanting to know about what people thought . In fact a ranking officer of bct went to see Geoff @Plan Tec Tiling I believe . As far as I know that as far as it got .

OP
D

Dumbo

Yes, it was indeed. Lots of empty promises and assurances but it turned into nothing in the end sadly
Contact him and ask him what his findings are and ask what they are going to do about them .
Could be good for a laugh if nothi g else ..
He has probably got the sack for talking to you because this must admit they have a problem ( or two)

OP
I

Italy

puff....
Italian pride

20181210_140625.jpg

Reaction score
Hi All. So we have bought and designed our kitchen around the Mr Jones Charcoal tile which we love. Really disappointing to read some bad reviews on it and then found out BCT went belly up just before we placed order. We still have our hearts set on them but I am not prepared to pay for tiles that could look bad and then there is no aftercare as the company do not exist.

I have contacted Tile Giant who make these but in porcelain, I was really surprised by this and the guy there said they are much better quality. We have ordered a sample and are waiting or it. They are made in Europe and have nothing to do with BCT.

Any of you lovely tilers out there want to comment on this? would porcelain be better? they are still 10mm apparently. Are there any questions I should be asking?

Any advice would be really appreciated as its not a cheap kitchen so don't want to get this wrong or ill end up like BCT!!

Reaction score
Hi All. So we have bought and designed our kitchen around the Mr Jones Charcoal tile which we love. Really disappointing to read some bad reviews on it and then found out BCT went belly up just before we placed order. We still have our hearts set on them but I am not prepared to pay for tiles that could look bad and then there is no aftercare as the company do not exist.

I have contacted Tile Giant who make these but in porcelain, I was really surprised by this and the guy there said they are much better quality. We have ordered a sample and are waiting or it. They are made in Europe and have nothing to do with BCT.

Any of you lovely tilers out there want to comment on this? would porcelain be better? they are still 10mm apparently. Are there any questions I should be asking?

Any advice would be really appreciated as its not a cheap kitchen so don't want to get this wrong or ill end up like BCT!!

We recently installed the Mr Jones in our powder room and have had multiple issues with the tile chipping from common use. Nothing was dropped and the places it chips are random. The tile seems frail. We have gone back to The Tile Shop where we purchased and they said installer error. We had certified tile installed do this. From all this reading regarding BCT looks like they may have made an inferior product or some say we may have gotten wall tiles?. Laura Ashley takes no responsibility saying they licensed this and not their problem with offering no assurance. Is BCT back in business. Looking for any help on this. Pictures of a few of the places

41D589F3-B7A9-4DD7-8952-065C29C0C1FD.jpeg

059D6E83-2EF3-4FFD-8A1E-45BE4519A65C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
D

Dumbo

No bct is not back in business , some designs have been sold to al murrad who are going to make in porcelain , and i heard also that some designs were sold tp original style , surely this comes down to contractual law , you didnt buy your tiles from bct , laura ashley allowed them to use their name, where did you buy them that is where you should go

Reaction score
No bct is not back in business , some designs have been sold to al murrad who are going to make in porcelain , and i heard also that some designs were sold tp original style , surely this comes down to contractual law , you didnt buy your tiles from bct , laura ashley allowed them to use their name, where did you buy them that is where you should go
Bought them from The Tile Shop. They offered us a replacement of the tiles but we don’t trust the quality of these. They then changed their minds and said would offer a discount. Continue to blame installer or us. BCT has a website, who runs that?

OP
D

Dumbo

Bought them from The Tile Shop. They offered us a replacement of the tiles but we don’t trust the quality of these. They then changed their minds and said would offer a discount. Continue to blame installer or us. BCT has a website, who runs that?
Al murrad probably .
I used to work as an agricultural engineer and the manufacturers loved it when a customer to the manufacturer to court rather than the retailer because they had no contract with the manufacturer ,
Your contract is with the retailer .
American kaw may differ

Reply to Laura Ashley Mr Jones floor tiles discolouring after being laid in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock