Search the forum,

Discuss Latex Cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

carpo

Some parts of my concrete floor were not very level so I have used some of the mapei latexplan trade, but in one area it has cracked so I have ripped it up. The substrate is an area where old meets new and the old cavity has been filled.

Any suggestions how to get over this so I can latex again?

Pics for clarity

DSC01010.jpg

Also this one keeps stealing the brush and jumping on me but I guess there is no solution to that lol

DSC01012.jpg

C

carpo

The cracking was more from the centre, I think the old filled in cavity where it meets the other 2 concrete floors was the worst area.

Carpo

R

Rich

It might be worth running a grinder along where the 2 substrates meet to give you a movement joint. Did the crack look like it followed the line of where the 2 materials meet? How long was the laytex down for before it cracked? was the floor primed before using the SLC?

Sorry for the thousand questions.

C

carpo

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

The deepest places it has gone on at 15mm, the cracks seem to come from the centre and out in all directions. I didn't use a primer. Latex has been down a week but not sure when it cracked as I have been away all week and noticed today when I was about to continue tiling.

You think using a primer and putting it on in thinner layers would be better?

Carpo

D

DHTiling

The subfloor looks contaminated.. i would have used a slurry coat over that first..or mapei Sp primer.

Latex plan trade also is designed for upto 10mm in thickness for each layer.. 15mm is a bit deep for one pour.

C

carpo

Ok, so I have some concrete based SLC that I got from B&Q I could mix a small amount up nice and sloppy and put some of that down, and then when dry build up the other layers with latexplan trade.

Or do you think I should go out and buy some primer, I have a TileGiant and a Topps tiles near by, but not sure if they have the SP primer in stock, nothing on their web site about it?

Carpo

C

carpo

I went with the slurry mix in the end, couldn't get to the shop as had the flipping mutt all day causing chaos. So I have now laid a 5mm layer of latex and will go over again tomorrow to build it up.

I have a question about the spiked roller, when is the best time to use it? should I wait until the latex has settled and after it has been spread about with the trowel.

Carpo

D

DHTiling

Spiked rollers are great for vinyl layers etc but not really needed when fixing hard flooring like tiles..

A few air bubbles won't hurt tiles..:lol:

Reply to Latex Cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen