Search the forum,

Discuss Lancashire school of plastering and tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

LM Ceramics

yes gaz hes left had a fall out with the owners hes helping me on a job next week in cumbria cant say much about the tiling course caus i was apprentice trained but the plastering course was excellent from my point a view. i was alright at plastering to begin with but i fell i needed to brush up to be able to advertise. i learned how to use plaster board( yes we did use nails only caus the boards are easier to rip up) skim walls skim over original plaster small demo on rendering and dot and dabbing defo worth the money.

as for the tiling course at lsp i do believe it covers the minimum basics and a little tiling bay is totally different to a bathroom but i think the resources there are pretty limited.

my dad went on the tiling course at LSP for 4 days in late jan this year i took him on a job not impressed had to tell him to stop (no offence dad)

what makes me laugh peter told me that theres a lad running that tiling course who completed the course only about a month ago shocking

G

GazTech

So Pete is back on the tools Lee. I met him first when I was fixing and he was working for Tile City which is now TCH, and I signed LSP with a Topps account, they were great for getting rid of the disco and non core tiles...lol Give him my regards, and tell him I now work for BAL......Gaz

R

R.J.Tiling

Not a very professional set up, courses were not very well run: A mate of mine went on the Tiling and plastering courses at the Lancashire school of plastering last year and recommended the courses to me, he was taught by Pete on the tiling course and said he had learned a lot. So I booked the Tiling course and the Plastering course together in the hope that I could change my career, I did the Tiling course a few months ago and the plastering course this month. Pete is no longer there, from what I had gathered there has been a personnel change due to tutors leaving. The tiling course was run by a lad called Ricky, he seems a nice lad but he only looks in his early twenties. He did seem to know some stuff but I couldn’t see how he could be time served. I was very disappointed in the set up of the place. The unit is small and dingy and I felt crammed in. The bays we were tiling were so small I almost couldn’t fit. The course was just ok it was basics only and we had no sink or toilet to tile around which I found disappointing. The plastering course was worse than the tiling, the tutor was called jeff and he just rushed through the course as if we weren’t there. The first two days were better than the last two but I felt that the tutor was not giving us his full attention. I did learn some things but again I didn’t feel that he was fully time served and he was blagging his way through the course. He came across as a bit of a cowboy to be honest. Again we were crammed in like sardines. Not very good learning conditions at all. Two other guys on the course also told me they were unhappy. I have learned more working with my mate since to be honest. I wouldn’t recommend this place to anyone. I have recently found out that there are loads of other places in the North West that do these courses I would have traveled further if I had known. My advice, stay away it’s not worth it!

L

LM Ceramics

in reply to rj i cant comment on the tiling course as i was an apprentice trained tiler but i dont agree with you about the plastering course. i attended a 4 day plastering course there in jan this year and for what i paid for the course i can plaster professionally i had a bit of plastering experience before and i can tell you that jeff and andy know there stuff and seen many plasterers work and been in the trade for 4 years now.

if you want a change of a career a 4 day course is no good anyway and at lsp the resources are very limited. as for the new tutor ricky i was told of peter(the previous teacher who i know) the he did the 4 day course himself only a few months ago which i think is a joke and to be honest ive probably forgotten more than what he knows.

D

dean39

I went on that course and it was pete who was the tutor,the course was only 3 days and cost me £320........now it was just the basics we were taught and to be honest it gave me confidence to persue a career in tiling............since then i found the tiling forum from which ive gained a considerable amount of knowledge from posts etc...........these type of courses are all the same and will give you an idea if your cut out for tiling or not............

G

GazTech

I have recently spent some time with the guys from LSP, and am going to commit to a programme to help fine tune things, they now have a new tiling trainer, and with the plastering side they wish to put the mistakes of past trainers behind them and earn a better reputation. Tiling trainer Rick, was brought up with his fathers business, plastering and tiling. I have seen them in operation and they things are moving on very nicely. I will keep people informed on the progress.....Gaz

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fekin

I might consider them for a plastering course then if Gaz has lent a helping hand sorting them out :thumbsup:

G

GazTech

I might consider them for a plastering course then if Gaz has lent a helping hand sorting them out :thumbsup:
Adam, its an on going thing, BAL have been invited to help develop the training side and myself and Vince will be doing this over the next 6 months. Jeff the director and his staff are well prepared to make this centre one to totally trust, and plans for expansion will be a consideration......Gaz

Reply to Lancashire school of plastering and tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen