Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Lancashire school of plastering and tiling in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Has anybody heard of these?
Done a little digging and they are a new outfit...that doesn't mean they are bad.
My concern is that the name is a little close to another 'plastering and tile school' already mentioned on this forum which has now 'thankfully' ceased trading after ripping numerous people off.. (myself included)

The other one was called NSP or Northern school of plastering (Not to be confused with the Northern School of Plastering and partitioning) and incorporated the so called 'National Tile School'

This one is called LSP... and is the Lancashire School of Plastering and tile.

If anyones knows anything about these please let us know..

**Incidentally, if the name of the owner/director is Bob Roby or Jean Roby and they are from chester then DONT part with any money..

**These are my own personal views and don't necessarily reflect the views of any other users of this forum....honest:)

OP
F

Fekin

I booked myself on a tile course there a while back, paid my deposit cheque, which got cashed.
Was told I would get written conformation about my booking date, but recieved nothing.

Called the office numbers endless times and mobile numbers too, never got an answer, left messages time and again with no reply.

Finally, 2 days before the course "friday evening" i got hold of a guy who I guess was the owner, and said Im waiting still for the conformation to be sent, but I guess it will now arrive on the day of the course, lol.

He was very vauge with the reasons why there had been no answer with all the calls I had made too them, blamed a temp secetary for **** ups, said tile instructer had... errr.... ummm.... had a loss in the family "all this sounded like he was thinking on his feet on what to say" and finally the course had to be canceled, and he's been trying to get hold of me for over a week and I wasn't answering the calls "********"

I told him basically this and said I had had to take off 2 shifts from work and it was too late to get back on them, so I was now quite a lot out of pockets, nearly the course fee, and would I get any form of re-embersment opr heavy course fee reduction for another date, the answer was ummm... it hasnt been my fault.... staff are crap... ummm this guys family member dieing etc etc, and no I couldn't have any future disscount....ummm...

I told him to fek off n refund my deposit.

**** company from my experiance.

OP
F

Fekin

Yeah, he refunded the deposit.

Main problem for me was his lying over the phone, saying they had been trying to get hold of me when it was obvious they had not, as I had given them my mobile and home numbers on the booking form, which they did recieve, as my deposit cheque which had been cashed, and that was with the booking form I sent them.

I wouldn't be supprised if they just didn't have anyone else booked for that course date, and wasn't worth just doing it with me, lol.

Pitty really, as Im wanting to do a plastering course now and The Lancashire school of plastering is very close to me, that's why I was going to do my tile course with them, but after the stink I kicked up with him I don't think it would be a good idea going there now, lol

OP
C

City Tiler

I did a course with these people, the guy who owns it is a plasterer, I spoke with guys on my course who had done the plastering course, and all they did for 4 days was nail board to timbers in work bays and fininsh skim, no other kind of plastering.

As far as the tile the course from my point of view was for diy people, and a starting point for people who had never tiled before, for me a waste of time and money.

To be honest it think that they are filling a niche for people who cant get on a college course, or are only able to complete at the weekends.

devonmark

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Fekin...have a look here [DLMURL="http://www.goldtrowel.org"]Plastering course[/DLMURL] I sent my nephew down to do the course, he is quite competent after doing the course. As you will see on the website they do cover it all, boarding, float and set, beading, skimming over board and s&c etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
G

glenn44

i went on the course fort it was great recommend to anybody both tile and plastering that is at lsp learnt loads on the course an now set up in buisness

OP
G

GazTech

The tutor I knew who ran the tile courses was Pete, I hear he is no longer with them....Gaz

OP
L

LM Ceramics

yes gaz hes left had a fall out with the owners hes helping me on a job next week in cumbria cant say much about the tile course caus i was apprentice trained but the plastering course was excellent from my point a view. i was alright at plastering to begin with but i fell i needed to brush up to be able to advertise. i learned how to use plaster board( yes we did use nails only caus the boards are easier to rip up) skim walls skim over original plaster small demo on rendering and dot and dabbing defo worth the money.

as for the tile course at lsp i do believe it covers the minimum basics and a little tile bay is totally different to a bathroom but i think the resources there are pretty limited.

my dad went on the tile course at LSP for 4 days in late jan this year i took him on a job not impressed had to tell him to stop (no offence dad)

what makes me laugh peter told me that theres a lad running that tile course who completed the course only about a month ago shocking

OP
G

GazTech

So Pete is back on the tools Lee. I met him first when I was fixing and he was working for Tile City which is now TCH, and I signed LSP with a Topps account, they were great for getting rid of the disco and non core tiles...lol Give him my regards, and tell him I now work for BAL......Gaz

OP
R

R.J.Tiling

Not a very professional set up, courses were not very well run: A mate of mine went on the tile and plastering courses at the Lancashire school of plastering last year and recommended the courses to me, he was taught by Pete on the tile course and said he had learned a lot. So I booked the tile course and the Plastering course together in the hope that I could change my career, I did the tile course a few months ago and the plastering course this month. Pete is no longer there, from what I had gathered there has been a personnel change due to tutors leaving. The tile course was run by a lad called Ricky, he seems a nice lad but he only looks in his early twenties. He did seem to know some stuff but I couldn’t see how he could be time served. I was very disappointed in the set up of the place. The unit is small and dingy and I felt crammed in. The bays we were tile were so small I almost couldn’t fit. The course was just ok it was basics only and we had no sink or toilet to tile around which I found disappointing. The plastering course was worse than the tile, the tutor was called jeff and he just rushed through the course as if we weren’t there. The first two days were better than the last two but I felt that the tutor was not giving us his full attention. I did learn some things but again I didn’t feel that he was fully time served and he was blagging his way through the course. He came across as a bit of a cowboy to be honest. Again we were crammed in like sardines. Not very good learning conditions at all. Two other guys on the course also told me they were unhappy. I have learned more working with my mate since to be honest. I wouldn’t recommend this place to anyone. I have recently found out that there are loads of other places in the North West that do these courses I would have traveled further if I had known. My advice, stay away it’s not worth it!

OP
L

LM Ceramics

in reply to rj i cant comment on the tile course as i was an apprentice trained tiler but i dont agree with you about the plastering course. i attended a 4 day plastering course there in jan this year and for what i paid for the course i can plaster professionally i had a bit of plastering experience before and i can tell you that jeff and andy know there stuff and seen many plasterers work and been in the trade for 4 years now.

if you want a change of a career a 4 day course is no good anyway and at lsp the resources are very limited. as for the new tutor ricky i was told of peter(the previous teacher who i know) the he did the 4 day course himself only a few months ago which i think is a joke and to be honest ive probably forgotten more than what he knows.

Reply to Lancashire school of plastering and tiling in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock