Discuss Inset Shower Screen Channels in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a number of wetrooms to do and 'The Designer' has picked these screens (Monaco by Majestic) and they have a 10mm inset channel for the floor and a 24mm inset channel for the walls. The floor one obviously just requires cutting into the tiles but the wall one needs the wall chopping out aswell. It'll need something to fix to behind so extra wood also needs to go in. Sounds simple but the problem is the tanking. We have impey waterguard and the tape goes along the wall 75mm up. The channel needs to go through that. Absolute nightmare. I've already done one but I'll go into that if somebody has ideas. I'd love an easier idea than the method I did. Majestic are unsure how this will work also.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

well if i have got this right you have to put the channel in the wall 25mm deep x wide 10 mm so if the tile is 10mm and the plaster board is 12.5mm thats 22.5mm so why not get 25 mm marine ply cut in to 100mm strips x 2400 mm then rought out the centre 12.5mm wide x 6mm deep then rought out the back were it meets the studs so you can then screw it at the right depht to the studs tank then screw channel

O

One Day

route out some thick Wedi boards if the walls can take the depth? - as long as you keep around 4mm they are inherently waterproof.
Check with Tim in the Tech dept though.
Bond the channel in with 610 adhesive and it won't need screws.

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The problem is more with the tanking tape which should run along the surface of the wall. Previously on the screen wall I cut out the bottom of the plasterboard and stuck the tap to the stud thus it was then behind the channel. All rooms are already boarded so I'll just be cutting out boards to put in tge extra studs

O

Old Mod

Do the tiles extend beyond the screen, or just in the enclosure?
As you've said it's a wet room, I'll assume the tiles extend beyond the screen. So why can't you use two right angle tile trims behind the tiles to form the channel. Then the glass is just sitting flush against the board, and the tanking tape will still be flush against the wall.
You can mechanically fix the trim to the wall behind the tiles and then resin bond the glass to the trim.
You won't have much room for adjustment on the screen but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You could always have the additional support of a brace bar across the top of the screen.

Reply to Inset Shower Screen Channels in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks