Search the forum,

Discuss Independent Tiling Consultant needed in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

Nick Jones

That's not a professional Tilers work!!
Handyman or DIY ??
This is the problem. Although I think you do both Handymen and DIYers a disservice, as they could easily have produced a much better finish.
He has put himself in the position of being a professional Tiler, and expects to receive a commensurate reward.
Even with my duff leg and bad back, I could have done better work myself.
I expected, and was entitled to receive, a professional result.
I have not.
I had planned this wet room - I think the layout and colour scheme was pretty good, even if I do say so myself. I was really looking forward to it.
What I have ended up with is pure dross.
I am not a happy bunny.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
OMG now you tell us it's a wetroom!
You will have a wet room, but it will be the room directly underneath your recently tiled room.
You have not done your homework and you have employed an odd job man to do the work of a highly skilled person. We are trying to help you, but you are drip feeding us information. You are also telling us a lot of unnecessary information about work colleagues etc.

I find it hard to believe that you do not have pictures of the bathroom/wetroom (taken from a distance so that we can see the whole room).

You say that the work is not good enough standard for a tiler, but the bloke who tiled it is not a tiler!!

I just don't know what to think or say now.

Good luck.

D

Dumbo

You will have a wet room, but it will be the room directly underneath your recently tiled room.
You have not done your homework and you have employed an odd job man to do the work of a highly skilled person. We are trying to help you, but you are drip feeding us information. You are also telling us a lot of unnecessary information about work colleagues etc.

I find it hard to believe that you do not have pictures of the bathroom/wetroom (taken from a distance so that we can see the whole room).

You say that the work is not good enough standard for a tiler, but the bloke who tiled it is not a tiler!!

Good luck.
As I said earlier more truths to come out .

O

On one

They were misaligned because the joints are of different sizes. This contractor said that you don't use spacers when laying mosaic tiles, which is completely the opposite of what the educational videos on You Tube show. So I am not going to complain to the manufacturers because it is not a manufacturing fault but a tiling contractors installation fault. Inspection of the photographs would show you the varying joint widths where the mosaic pattern goes out of register and it is because the joint widths were different that the "out of register" occurred. This "out of registration" effect occurs both horizontally and vertically because the contractor didn't lay the mosaic sheets properly. A little time and care on his part would have worked wonders - but he completely miscalculated the time that he was going to need to do the job - and because he had another job scheduled (not a tiling job) he rushed it. Also, the fact is that I do not believe he had done any tiling for several years because he had been employed in fitting fitted furniture in school, laboratories, etc and so when he came to do my job (both building work and then the tiling) he was "rusty" - and that is being extremely kind to him. I was not aware that he was going to do the tiling - I thought that he was going to hire a tiling professional (just as he hired plumbers and an electrician).
There is very little point in using spacers on mosaics,because they are never perfectly aligned on the backing mat.

N

Nick Jones

Good luck.

N

Nick Jones

What I had wanted was the room to be completely tanked. What he did, was to have the plumbers fit an "Impey level deck floor sheet" in the shower area and when I queried the fact that the entire room was to be tanked he said that you just do the shower area. The trouble was that the work was too far along at the time to allow for the floor area to be redone to be completely tanked, so I ended up having to accept that I would just have the walk-in shower area "tanked". So "wet room" may not appear to be the correct description, although it apparently can also mean an area of the floor (and not the whole floor) is tanked.
So it's not a question of more truths to come out.
So my apologies if you misunderstand the sobriquet "wet room", but I am reporting it as it is. My original hope was to get an impartial & independent report, I did not type out an exceedingly long letter going into all the "ins and outs" of what had occurred because it was not germane nor would anyone bother to read umpteen pages of what did or did not occur. What I can say is that work was supposed to be done - I'm assuming that his building work was OK in knocking down a couple of small walls - with him using I believe a plasterer, a painter and presumably a labourer that he paid for and included in his bill with a plumbing firm and an electrical firm to do their respective work (with separate bills raised by them) and then he did the tiling. I had wrongly assumed that he would have used a tiling contractor, whereas he did the work himself.

Reply to Independent Tiling Consultant needed in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

Birthdays