Discuss I am here simply to moan about tiling in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Simon4132

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
Hi,
Sorry about this but I need to vent my frustrations on people who can provide sympathy.

I am a diy tiler but aim (and eventually achieve) a professional finish.

I am on my second bathroom.

My Problems.
Tile adhesive is rubbish. I use proper expensive adhesive from Topps but I always get a loose tile somewhere.

Replacing loose tiles. (Note tiles are square, flat and well made).
On a wall you would think that if you have a loose tile you could simply take it off, add a bit more adhesive and stick it back on.
If you do that then the tile till be proud of the level of the other tiles, i.e. slighly raised) which is not good enough.
Therefore you have to remove some of the old adhesive. I do this with an angle grinder.
This results in other tiles becoming loose compounding the problem.

Here is my worst problem...
When replacing a tile, you take out a perfectly fitting (but loose) tile - but when you replace it - it suddenly does not fit! for example it is too close to the next tile on one edge. I know that this is impossible but I get this time and time again.

Tile adhesive is horrible stuff. It gets all over you sets like concrete and when handling big tiles you're too knackered to clean it up when finished which is a bad mistake.

My next gripe is even worse - you lay a perfect set of tiles, finish up really pleased with yourself. Let us all dry, then go back a few days later and magically one or more tiles are not as perfect as what you remember. Sticking out, or too close to the next one. This one really winds me up.

Walls are not straight.
This is a huge problem. A shower wall has to be properly vertical if you put one of those rain showers on it. If the wall is leaning then you end up building out the wall with adhesive which is a nightmare.

My measurements are wrong.
Measure a tile to cut. Cut it just right. Offer it up to the space. The tile does not fit. Oh dear.

There's more but i'll stop there.

I get there in the end with a great finish but i'm fed up with having to fix and repeat things.
Clearly the experience of a professional tiler is what separates them from my own abilities.

Any sympathy or advice welcome.

Actually I have one good piece of advice I can give. - When laying floor tiles, make sure the adhesive is completely and uniformly under the tile. Otherwise when you stand on the corner it can snap. Obvious I know but can be difficult when laying in sections.

Simon

U

Unused Account 1

Go with a tiler for a job and youll learn a lot ,its like any other job ,its all the small tips we pick up over the years ,ask questions ,to expensive to do it twice lol

F

Flintstone

Sounds to me Simon like your optimistic when saying you acheive a professional finish. Tiling isn't as simple as just sticking tiles on, there are correct ways of doing it which doesn't give you all these problems. Tile adhesive is fantastic and used right a tile will never come loose.

Simon4132

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
Localtiler - of course you're right. I can't bring myself to say any more on that.

Tiling looks simple and the idea sounds even easier.
However it is one of the hardest things I have done.
What could be easier than sticking a loads of tiles on a wall? Probably most things.

To anyone that does this for a living - you must be either really skilled or crazy.
When I say crazy - I only mean that the chances of a client finding a problem is huge unless you get it spot on - and dealing with difficult clients can be the hardest part of any job.
Ans also it is knackering! Especially with modern large tiles.

As with all trades like this - experience really counts which is what I don't have (even with youtube :) ) as I simply don't do this often enough.

Professionals (and anyone who achieves a true professional finish) - I salute you!

F

Flintstone

It takes years upon years to get to a professional standard, even then some people are crap! Don't beat yourself up too much.
[automerge]1569165596[/automerge]
It takes years upon years to get to a professional standard, even then some people are crap! Don't beat yourself up too much.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
What is the adhesive topps sell?

Is it their own brand which is palace is it? Or do they still sell BAL? Which should be good?

T

Time's Ran Out

Tiling should be enjoyable, interesting and very rewarding !
On your 2nd bathroom and a post with this content would leave people thinking you are not achieving any of the above.
46 years and rarely ever fitted the same tile twice so variety is the spice of life - this is a great trade.
However IMHO it is a trade not suitable for the majority of DIYers.

Simon4132

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have worked out a key reason why I was running into problems.
For my first Bathroom I used Topps tiles. which were great.
However for this one - I cleverly thought i'd use Homebase tiles.
To be fair they are fantastic looking tiles.
However I have only just noticed one little issue which I didn't realise and has caused me all sorts of problems without knowing why, including some of those in my original post above.

THE TILES HAVE DIFFERENT THICKNESSES!!!!!!

These aren't super cheap tiles btw, they are large shiny porcelain ones.

To any diy-ers watch out for this. It's not immediately obvious as the whole pack of tiles are probably the same thickness but it might be different than the previous pack of tiles which you've already laid.

Timeless John: Whilst I posted this thread to moan, It's all worth it when it's finished as it looks fantastic :) and there's nothing better than being able to say that I did it :)
I'm all ready planning bathroom number 3 :)

Simon

U

Unused Account 1

If you buy cheaper tiles ,even some more expensive ones differ in size ,the spec tells u ,but so hard at times ,when most of the good tilers use 2mm spacers,

O

Old Mod

Replacing loose tiles. (Note tiles are square, flat and well made).
On a wall you would think that if you have a loose tile you could simply take it off, add a bit more adhesive and stick it back on.
If you do that then the tile till be proud of the level of the other tiles, i.e. slighly raised) which is not good enough.
Therefore you have to remove some of the old adhesive. I do this with an angle grinder.
This results in other tiles becoming loose compounding the problem.
If you have tiles becoming loose and the adhesive is not on the tile there could be a couple of reasons.
The back of the tile cold have been contaminated, wipe them clean first, it would also help using back edge of the trowel to scrape the back of the tile first with a thin coat of adhesive. This can improve bond by 50%
Or your adhesive could have skinned, spreading more adhesive than you can cover in 10-15mins would leave the adhesive dry on top, and whilst it may hold for a bit, it’ll probably come loose.
Also watch room temp for same problem. Too hot and you get very little time before it skins.

Here is my worst problem...
When replacing a tile, you take out a perfectly fitting (but loose) tile - but when you replace it - it suddenly does not fit! for example it is too close to the next tile on one edge. I know that this is impossible but I get this time and time again.

When replacing a tile you must make sure you remove every remnants of grout on adjoins tiles, or it’ll push it out of place.
Also if it’s a different batch it may well be a different size.
Or your tiles could just be sizey, try others in its place.

Tile adhesive is horrible stuff. It gets all over you sets like concrete and when handling big tiles you're too knackered to clean it up when finished which is a bad mistake.

Are you using rapid setting adhesives?
If so, change to standard set and always have bucket and sponge to hand, clean as you go, ALWAYS.

My next gripe is even worse - you lay a perfect set of tiles, finish up really pleased with yourself. Let us all dry, then go back a few days later and magically one or more tiles are not as perfect as what you remember. Sticking out, or too close to the next one. This one really winds me up.

When adhesive dries it can be prone to shrinkage, especially if you have built it up thicker in places and also if you’ve used too much water when mixed.
That’s why you suddenly get lippage.

Walls are not straight.
This is a huge problem. A shower wall has to be properly vertical if you put one of those rain showers on it. If the wall is leaning then you end up building out the wall with adhesive which is a nightmare.

If you can’t replace boards on the wall or overboard it plumb, then skim it plumb previous to starting.
Small amounts can be done with tile adhesive, prime each layer when dry, or use a product like AM100 from Ardex a quick set render.

My measurements are wrong.
Measure a tile to cut. Cut it just right. Offer it up to the space. The tile does not fit. Oh dear.

Are you allowing for joints when you measure?
A pencil thickness can mean it fits or it doesn’t.
If they’re continually too big, then allow more when you measure.
Simple but easy mistake.

All solvable mistakes that will become second nature when you’ve had enough practice.

And of course you can always come here, and get good solid advice. 😊👍

D

Dumbo

Do realise the price you pay doesn't necessarily reflect the price that your supplier paid .
£30 from a local tile shop probably represents better value than £20 from a diy chain .

Reply to I am here simply to moan about tiling in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks