Search the forum,

Discuss How to tile round 'L' shaped rad valves? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dingabell

Tiling a bathroom which has rad valves which come out of the wall a couple of inches then turn upwards in an 'L' shape if that makes sense? Can't really figure how to tile round these without slotting the tile and putting the piece back in, or starting a tile halfway up the pipe which comes out of the wall. This would mean cutting a semi circle out of the top of one tile and the bottom of another, which would look cleaner but might not work with the rest of the walls? How have you all done it?

I

Ian

Getting a grout line to land on them is the easiest way , like you say though, how will that affect the rest of the room. Other option is to remove the valves and slide the tile over after coring a hole in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've had these before and I get the plumber to just leave the tails pointing out of the wall longer than required and get them to solder a 15mm end cap on. I then drill the tile and slot it over and fix to wall. Plumber then comes back and cuts pipe to length and fits valve on.

It means that the system has to be drained down a couple of times but it means you don't have to slot tiles. As Bri says getting a grout joint is easiest but it is dictated by too many factors for that fall nicely every time.

D

dingabell

No chance the plumber will be back to help out, and the holes would have to be so big to get the tile over the valves that it wouldn't get covered by the radiator collars. I'll have a look how the grout line works out tomorrow but I've just remembered there are two rads on opposite walls with the same bloody pipes. What are the chances that they've been installed at exactly the same height? None I'd say. Will have a chat to the customer and see what he wants me to do? Just wondered if there was stunningly simple solution that I'd overlooked?

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Nothing is simple once a plumber's had his 2p's worth!!!

S

Stef

Only other option is to split the tile straight up the middle behind the tails & fit in place once you have cut your notch.
It's a lot neater looking than a grout line.
It depends on the tile & the grout colour though.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As above. :thumbsup:
It is the only way if the plumber won't/can't just leave a tail.

Best of a bad job......then talk customer into getting rad covers. :smilewinkgrin:

D

Dougs Third Go

pipe collars won't cover a bodge, plumber has to come back and sold pipe caps on, slits and in-filled tiles aren't acceptable imo.

Reply to How to tile round 'L' shaped rad valves? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen