Search the forum,

Discuss How to tile round 'L' shaped rad valves? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dingabell

Tiling a bathroom which has rad valves which come out of the wall a couple of inches then turn upwards in an 'L' shape if that makes sense? Can't really figure how to tile round these without slotting the tile and putting the piece back in, or starting a tile halfway up the pipe which comes out of the wall. This would mean cutting a semi circle out of the top of one tile and the bottom of another, which would look cleaner but might not work with the rest of the walls? How have you all done it?

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I've had these before and I get the plumber to just leave the tails pointing out of the wall longer than required and get them to solder a 15mm end cap on. I then drill the tile and slot it over and fix to wall. Plumber then comes back and cuts pipe to length and fits valve on.

It means that the system has to be drained down a couple of times but it means you don't have to slot tiles. As Bri says getting a grout joint is easiest but it is dictated by too many factors for that fall nicely every time.

D

dingabell

No chance the plumber will be back to help out, and the holes would have to be so big to get the tile over the valves that it wouldn't get covered by the radiator collars. I'll have a look how the grout line works out tomorrow but I've just remembered there are two rads on opposite walls with the same bloody pipes. What are the chances that they've been installed at exactly the same height? None I'd say. Will have a chat to the customer and see what he wants me to do? Just wondered if there was stunningly simple solution that I'd overlooked?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
the op just said the plumber wont come back..??

so what then just leave the tile out..

like others have said you have to make the best out of a bad job, try working it on a grout joint vertical or horizontal or split the tile........but make sure you explain to the customer its the plumbers fault for not leaving the job ready for tiling..

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Don't you know a plumber, that could come and remove the rads for you? Then put them back on when you're done? Obviously you'd have to add that to your price... In all fairness to the plumber, it's not really his problem. If the customer won't wear the expense, you'll just have to slot them. If you go down that route, don't re-use the bit you cut out, cut new pieces, and get them tight. It'll be less noticeable. ;)

K

Kyle87

First off I'm a plumber!!!! Don't start throwing rotten veg at me lol

To say it's the plumbers fault isn't fair unless we know that for sure. If customer won't pay for the extra visit then it's the customers fault.

Not every tradesman can make multiple visits and this should be discussed before hand.

I always try to accommodate for other trades. I even keep a spare tap in the van so when I rip out a bathroom the tilers and plasterers can still use water in that room for adhesives etc.

Someone mentioned putting valves outside the room and then putting rad on after. Not the best idea I'm afraid especially if your using iso valves that will restrict flow and deliver less heat to the rad.

All I'm saying is......innocent until proven guilty. Blame the customer first and possibly yourself dare I say for not planning properly with the plumber before starting

L

lizzardtong

First off I'm a plumber!!!! Don't start throwing rotten veg at me lol

To say it's the plumbers fault isn't fair unless we know that for sure. If customer won't pay for the extra visit then it's the customers fault.

Not every tradesman can make multiple visits and this should be discussed before hand.

I always try to accommodate for other trades. I even keep a spare tap in the van so when I rip out a bathroom the tilers and plasterers can still use water in that room for adhesives etc.

Someone mentioned putting valves outside the room and then putting rad on after. Not the best idea I'm afraid especially if your using iso valves that will restrict flow and deliver less heat to the rad.

All I'm saying is......innocent until proven guilty. Blame the customer first and possibly yourself dare I say for not planning properly with the plumber before starting
i was on about full bore valved :)

K

Kyle87

A lot of people get funny about plumbers doing a bit of tiling and tilers doing a bit of plumbing.

Providing you know your beans it's all good. You just wouldn't win a lot of jobs unless willing to do a bit of this and a bit of that.

I literally tell my customers "look I'm not a tiler. I know a good tiler if you want one. I can stick tiles to a wall but to say I can tile is a different matter. Now what do you want?"

It's bathroom season for me again so that's why I'm back reading on the tilers forum

Reply to How to tile round 'L' shaped rad valves? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays