Search the forum,

Discuss How To Replace a Tile Under Water? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bill Budd

Hi members.
Wanted to ask if any body has experience in underwater tiling? If so what are good products to use and any tips on techniques.
Talk to you soon.
Bill

G

Gazzer

Re: Bill

Hello and welcome. this has been discussed before so I am sure someone will be along at some point with the info you require.....any more details on what you actually need to know ?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Hi welcome to the forum.

If it's repairing a tile or two in a swimming pool. You'd need to use diving equipment to go down and clear out the tile and adhesive, then back-butter the tile out of the water, place it into a plastic bag, go down and quickly rip off the back and place it into place, use the adhesive to grout with by way of allowing it to ooze out a bit and use your finger or whatever to smooth it off.

You will need some form of water hoover (sorry I'm not a techie in this but do know such a thing exists - perhaps for hire?) when both getting up the old tile, and also when pushing the tile into place to catch any adhesive floating off.

Adhesive will cure under water just fine. You might need to check with adhesive manufacturers with regards to whether chemicals in the pool will react to chemicals in the adhesive or visa versa.

Never seen it done but heard of quite few over the years doing it so it is possible and just fiddly more than complicated.

Reaction score

Hi welcome to the forum.

If it's repairing a tile or two in a swimming pool. You'd need to use diving equipment to go down and clear out the tile and adhesive, then back-butter the tile out of the water, place it into a plastic bag, go down and quickly rip off the back and place it into place, use the adhesive to grout with by way of allowing it to ooze out a bit and use your finger or whatever to smooth it off.

You will need some form of water hoover (sorry I'm not a techie in this but do know such a thing exists - perhaps for hire?) when both getting up the old tile, and also when pushing the tile into place to catch any adhesive floating off.

Adhesive will cure under water just fine. You might need to check with adhesive manufacturers with regards to whether chemicals in the pool will react to chemicals in the adhesive or visa versa.

Never seen it done but heard of quite few over the years doing it so it is possible and just fiddly more than complicated.

well i loved this reply , just picturing someone doing this , good try Dan and mostly right, we do not use water soluble adhesive in this situation ,there are a few epoxy adhesives specially made for these repairs, not like ordinary epoxy, and the water chemistry is not a problem with these special adhesives , if you want to buys some then contact me by PM and i will be pleased to help you .

T

Time's Ran Out

During the long hot summer of 1976 - when pools were not drained - Ardex had a promotion on their X7 product which advertised and showed Navy divers replacing cracked tiles exactly the method explained by Dan! Adhesive in a plastic bag.
I'd contact Ardex to see if they still recommend this method.

Ardex CA20 P may be a product to use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to How To Replace a Tile Under Water? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen