Search the forum,

Discuss How much weight can tiles hold? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cgadmin23

Hi All,

Just a quick question about how much floor tiles can hold in weight.

I am tiling my bathroom floor with standard 10mm ceramic tiles (300mm x 300mm). I will also be installing a stand alone cast iron column radiator that measures 30cm x 30cm x 50cm. The radiator stands on four legs and weighs approximatey 40kg.

Will the floor tiles be strong enough to hold this weight?

Regards

Chris

T

theyomper

provided they have been laid correctly...........solid bed not dot and dabbed.......you should have no problem

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Daz

Chris,

I'm guessing you are at least 40kg in weight, I know I'm a lot more! Even with water in, if you've fixed the tiles correctly to a secure and solid substrate then you wont have an issue :thumbsup:.

D

doug boardley

if you're thinking of using a standard ceramic, the glaze may not be durable enough for floor traffic imo, see if you can find out the PEI rating, 5 being the most durable:smilewinkgrin:

T

Time's Ran Out

That's an interesting point Doug - If they are selling it as a floor tile one would assume you can walk on it!
I don't think it is the cast iron legs of the radiator that is going to do the walking - as long as its not dragged over the floor surface and the tiles are solid bed fixed, even grade 1/2 pei are suitable for bathroom use.:thumbsup:

John.

C

cgadmin23

Thanks everyone for your response.

I will ensure all the floor tiles have a full covereage of adhesive - I believe I need to used an 8mm notched trowell for this -

I will ensure I don't drag the radiator when I install it to avoid damaging the tile surface.

Many thanks again.

Chris

G

grumpygrouter

Thanks everyone for your response.

I will ensure all the floor tiles have a full covereage of adhesive - I believe I need to used an 8mm notched trowell for this -

I will ensure I don't drag the radiator when I install it to avoid damaging the tile surface.

Many thanks again.

Chris
For floors 10mm minimum or better still a Thick Bed/Solid Bed trowel.

Reply to How much weight can tiles hold? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen