Search the forum,

Discuss How can you tell it's render? Quick response most appreciated in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

coonster

:yikes: Alittle stresssssssed but not too bad

Ok i'm not sure whether i'm luck or not, but i'm wondering whether the stuff/surface underneath the tiles is just a sand and cement mix or just an undercoat plaster.

I'm about to tile over with travertine tiles and know (thanks to evryone on here) that they need to go on one of the following, straight onto backer board (best option but most expensive) straight onto 12.5 plaster board or onto a render coat...

I was going to strip back to original wall and then dot and dab plaster board on, my brother the plumber seems to think it is render...

It's grey with two coats...the undercoat is quite thick layer with alot of keying all over and the top coat is very thin and smooth.

I have stripped back the top coat...do i have to strip back the second. It's not as hard as concrete but it's tougher than the bonding stuff i've used in the past.

What do youi guys think?

S

Scott

Could be bonding or hardwall plaster. IS it really hard or can you gouge it with a screw driver? Plaster is a lot softer whereas render is much much harder.

C

coonster

Could be bonding or hardwall plaster. IS it really hard or can you gouge it with a screw driver? Plaster is a lot softer whereas render is much much harder.

I can gouge it defo....does that mean Scottley what i think it means????

Thanks in advance

C

coonster

I can gouge it defo....does that mean Scottley what i think it means????

Thanks in advance

Ok I've stripped back one of the walls rendy for ready, my brother suggested putting up batterns onto the wall then boarding straight on top...as these will be held into the breeze block wall would this be ok? As i don't want these travetine tiles to put it all down..

Thanks again

S

Scott

A pic would be better as it could just be poor render. Hard to say without looking. How old is the house?

C

coonster

A pic would be better as it could just be poor render. Hard to say without looking. How old is the house?

i'll try and get a picture tomorrow...

if it is bad render can i still batern over it or do i seal it and tile straight over?

Age of the house.....never good at that but late 70's possibly early eighties

thanks all :smilewinkgrin:

C

coonster

you can still batten over by making sure your fixings for battens go through and in to the brick work below:thumbsup:

Battern it is then my friends cause it took ages getting the other stuff off!!!

Right back work, cheers for your help fellas :thumbsup:

Reply to How can you tell it's render? Quick response most appreciated in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen