Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Herringbone walls ! The definitive answer? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

U

Unused Account 1

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I now know what to do ,i centred the wall and left was ok but right was nearly a ten mm cut ,there is a calculation ,better to start from one corner sometimes

D

Dumbo

I now know what to do ,i centred the wall and left was ok but right was nearly a ten mm cut ,there is a calculation ,better to start from one corner sometimes
No calc just understanding what the middle of a herringbone layout is . You probably put one of your tile corners on the centre line whereas you should put the middle of the end of the tile on the centre line

H573

TF
Reaction score
Hi all,
Following this with interest. Please see sketch( sorry for the blue peter offering, technology not my strong point).
I was taught to setout and start herringbone like figure 1. ( it wasn’t a full wall mind, it was a small panel of a four panelled display piece.)

Is it best to setout start as in figure 2?

9990979D-01BA-49AF-8BE2-1A7F0B9AFF7C.jpeg

[automerge]1570432613[/automerge]
Hi all,
Following this with interest. Please see sketch( sorry for the blue peter offering, technology not my strong point).
I was taught to setout and start herringbone like figure 1. ( it wasn’t a full wall mind, it was a small panel of a four panelled display piece.)

Is it best to setout start as in figure 2?

9990979D-01BA-49AF-8BE2-1A7F0B9AFF7C.jpeg
Sorry it’s upside down

H573

TF
Reaction score
Obv
Thanks Julian, really helpful as always mate 👍🏼
Obviously it’s not always possible to have an equally sided square.
So is this how you would start in that instance? I’ve looked through the thread but found it confusing

7E193858-1220-4135-9C5E-D8CB80D806A6.jpeg

J

J Sid

Whatever the size of wall, if you find the centre of bottom row and draw a square box with the box centre on that point and make that box equal sides you can use your method.
Saying that, now you have found your centre line you can now follow @LEE MAC instructions

Reaction score
Re-clad the sill and side reveal of alcove to give me nicer cuts.
Toyed with the idea of building out the right-hand side reveal to totally equalise it all, but I've already shrunk it down and that would have meant losing a really big chunk of it.
Success with the most worrying part - going either side of alcove and meeting up again above it.

View attachment 100726

View attachment 100727

View attachment 100728

View attachment 100729
Did you pull out any 45° lines on the wall prior to laying the herringbone or just 90's? Thanks👍

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
When measuring up for herringbone, what % do you add for cuts/wastage. I’m just measuring up and was going to add 15% 🤔

Reply to Herringbone walls ! The definitive answer? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock