Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Shower wall niche suggestions in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

serval

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
DSC_3874.JPG

Im in the process of building out this wall that will form one wall of a shower cubicle once tiled.

Id like to build a wall niche into this wall as a feature but im stuck on the best way to set everything out so the niche is centred in the shower tray.
The shower tray is 700mm deep and id be using 600x600mm tiles.
The wall width is about 1780mm and id like the niche to be about 300mm wide.

Would the best way to do this be to start with a cut tile that crosses the mid line of the shower tray and have the niche span across two tiles?

Reaction score
Nobody replied, probably because there are so many different ways to set it out. Post up some pics of what lay out you went with as that may help others

OP
S

serval

TF
Reaction score
Nobody replied, probably because there are so many different ways to set it out. Post up some pics of what lay out you went with as that may help others
Cheers. I worked out how to do it in the end. Made niche and sealed joints with jacko https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.
Just need to seal the edges then tank it along with the rest of the shower area
DSC_3959.JPG

DSC_3966.JPG

Reaction score
Looks really good. Nice board cuts đź‘Ť
If that 4x2 up top is still accessible I'd be tempted to spin it through 90° just to alleviate any potential bounce in the timber, or if that's a pain to get out, just pop in another timber next to it. Can never have too much timber in studwork IMO especially if that studwork is holding tile ;)
Are those cables for some funky LED lighting in the niche? :cool:

OP
S

serval

TF
Reaction score
Thanks.

Yes ive got some small ip68 marker lights that are going to fit into the top part of the niche.
Not fitted the top section of the jackoboard yet so i can reposition that upright timber. I originally put it that way so as not to obscure the cental cable entry hole for one of the lights.
Can reposition it easily enough between the 1st and 2nd hole plus spin through 90° and add another timber between the 2nd and 3rd hole so its all symmetrical

Reaction score
Good plan. That'll make it much stronger. Timber stud walls are never as solid as masonry and we often insert horizontals front to back as well, depending on spans, centres and loads, to tie the studwork back to the masonry. Pic attached as an example of one we did recently where we did just that, as the frame was also taking the weight of the wall hung basin and illuminated cab. Belt and braces approach makes for a restful night's sleep ;)

IMG_20211207_072543_586.jpg

OP
S

serval

TF
Reaction score
That looks great!

I've got a similar set up with a wall hung toilet and basin but no masonry wall to tie into at the back unfortunately so ive tied the entire frame into the floor joists and the rafters in the loft at the top and bottom respectively. Also used horizontal, front to back noggins to tie into the old studs behind the plasterboard wall where the toilet frame and sink will be.

Reply to Shower wall niche suggestions in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock