Search the forum,

Discuss Help with floor prep !! i'm a noob. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bobski

Hi Guys,

Great forum you have here very helpful guy's !!

I have searched loads of posts but can't find some answers to my qestions,

Im tiling my kitchen floor and side room. I have taken up the tiles in the kitchen and the sticky back tiles under that and i'm left with a black kind of membrane? its about 1/2 inch thick and is fairly flat few dips here and there.

My question is it ok to tile direct to this surface or should I prime first? if so which primer and adhesive should I use?

Also the kitchen tile area is 7ft by 4.5 and the dips in the floor are only slight say 1/8 of inch in the middle. should I take the dip out with slc or just build that bit up?

Thanks

Rob

B

bigandy

Hi Guys,

Great forum you have here very helpful guy's !!

I have searched loads of posts but can't find some answers to my qestions,

Im tiling my kitchen floor and side room. I have taken up the tiles in the kitchen and the sticky back tiles under that and i'm left with a black kind of membrane? its about 1/2 inch thick and is fairly flat few dips here and there.

My question is it ok to tile direct to this surface or should I prime first? if so which primer and adhesive should I use?

Also the kitchen tile area is 7ft by 4.5 and the dips in the floor are only slight say 1/8 of inch in the middle. should I take the dip out with slc or just build that bit up?

Thanks

Rob
Hi Rob,
it's hard to say what the membrain is,any chance of pictures?also what age is floor?

Priming depends on the adhesive you are planning to use, as they all have differant technical specifications.Just don't use PVA!

The dips are n't that bad but why not use slc to give you the best possible start to acheive the best possible finish!

D

doug boardley

your black stuff is more than likely a bitumen membrane Rob, just prime with a diluted acrylic primer and tile, wouldn't bother with a slc if your dips are only 1/8 inch or so, adhesive should get it out.

D

Daz

I tend to agree with Doug.
Where in Essex are you Rob? If not too far from me, I'm happy to take a look and give you some advice.

B

bobski

Hi there thanks for reply,

The house is about 30-40 years old and this coating is in all rooms looks like it was poured ontop of concrete?

I have added some photos of a corner where i have dug a bit up.

what do ya think

Attachments

• php7WJqOSPM.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 81
  • phpbiRJfCPM.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 86
  • phpmMl7YePM.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 91
  • phpWD1FcUPM.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 82
B

bobski

Hi Captain slow

Thanks for the offer I'm in Waltham abbey on outskirts of North London so probably to far but thanks!!

Doug, which type of adhesive should i use?

Thanks

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Would Rob need to worry about replacing the bitumen that he's lifted? Just curious, as i'm assuming it's the damp proof membrane, would there be any risk of damp penetration!?!

D

doug boardley

Hi Captain slow

Thanks for the offer I'm in Waltham abbey on outskirts of North London so probably to far but thanks!!

Doug, which type of adhesive should i use?

Thanks
A single part flexible adhesive(powdered) Rob, if you feel confident enough go for a rapid set one, otherwise a standard set will do fine

B

bobski

Thanks Doug

Beanz, That bit I dug out was a in high spot in the corner which i'm gonna knock out and just float in with sand cement with water proofing feb mix.

thanks rob

PS notched or u shape trowel ?

Reply to Help with floor prep !! i'm a noob. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen