Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Help Please. How Do I Cut This? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

ANDY F

TF
Reaction score
All. I'm trying to cut a 330 x 330 square tile diagonally into 4 pieces, to fit round a wetroom grid. Dry cutting doesn't give you a grout joint, so want to use wet cutter. On my cutter you can't use the guide, see photo, as the tiles too wide and at 460 diagonal its too wide for the bigger wet cutters I've looked at. Help!

WP_20151130_001.jpg

P

p4ulo

Is that side bar not removable on your cutter??
If not, does the blade stick up higher than it, so you could rest it on 2 pieces of batten and still cut it through?
Otherwise, unless you wanna buy a new machine (cheapo vitrex 750pro doesn't have any kind of restriction on size of tile) you'll need to use an angle-grinder?

ANDY F

TF
Reaction score
Side bar is removable but then your free handing with no guide. I might be being ocd here but is that acceptable?

I

Ian

A grinder is the way forward here, I've never used a wet cutter for envelopes, I find I have much more control with a grinder. Also, score the tile first to avoid any chipping.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
One corner of the tile against the bar wouldn't really stop it twisting anyway, try it on an offcut first I'm sure you'll find it easier than you think

ANDY F

TF
Reaction score
Gents a mahoosive thank you, I've been stumped all afternoon. Photo doesn't show it well but edge of tile is beyond the bar. Grinders coming out tomorrow. Thanks for the advice

O

One Day

You'll get a cleaner cut on the wet saw though. Get some safety glasses on, mark your cuts with waterproof ink and use the saw! I'd get my head down and eye level with the tile and 'sight' the cut line down the blade. You'll get a wet face but that's how I'd do it prior to buying a dewalt/sigma/raimondi etc...

Reply to Help Please. How Do I Cut This? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks