Search the forum,

Discuss Help and advice with getting site work in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

mike1979

First of all merry Xmas to you all I have always been a subcontractor doting here and there working for people but fancied a shot of pricing up my own sites as I thought why earn for everyone else while I can do it myself but haven't a clue where to start don't even know how to approach to tender for the work a point in the right direction would be great thanks

Reaction score
Get a good set of term's and conditions first, then make sure you have A cscs card or cards for your employees, then make sure you have H&S policies ,insurance for millions's,method statements , then save enough money to tide you over until you get payed ( may take months ) and to cover yourself and employees also enought money to cover materials and snagging time/ money.... then prepar yourself to be raped by bigger subs, and maybe have enough money in a fighting fund for any legal action that may arise...... Good luck with that ,that should be enough to be going on with !!!!!!.

M

mike1979

Get a good set of term's and conditions first, then make sure you have A cscs card or cards for your employees, then make sure you have H&S policies ,insurance for millions's,method statements , then save enough money to tide you over until you get payed ( may take months ) and to cover yourself and employees also enought money to cover materials and snagging time/ money.... then prepar yourself to be raped by bigger subs, and maybe have enough money in a fighting fund for any legal action that may arise...... Good luck with that ,that should be enough to be going on with !!!!!!.
Lol thanks for that I was thinking about starting in maybe very small house building sites I've just seen so many lads that used to sub contract go out and do it so I thought while I have a few weeks off maybe get some info and try to understand how it works and maybe think on doing it

R

Rookery

Good advice there from DPF and MZ. One extra thing to consider is the difficulty in getting good fixers at the right speed/money, putting you under pressure to complete to the contractors schedule. To compete successfully in this market you need contacts, money and luck. Not that I'm trying to put you off or anything.

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
You aint gonna be a millyonair off the back off site work. Most of the big boys tell YOU what you're going to charge for the materials. Most have 'arrangements' with addy/tile suppliers.

Supply to small builders 4/6 houses is fine , but any larger and as mentioned above you need capital , good terms/relationships, and a bit of luck.

Personally I currently like to sub , I earn what I consider a good living in return for my skills. All i have to do is turn up , stick them on/down, grout and go home , whats not to like about that.

Cheers

Diggy

M

mike1979

Thanks I know loads of good tilers and strangely enough it's like a big family up the welsh valleys we all know each other and help each other out except the business side if things lol I got the men I got a bit of luck might need a bank loan lol

M

mike1979

Personally I currently like to sub , I earn what I consider a good living in return for my skills. All i have to do is turn up , stick them on/down, grout and go home , whats not to like about that. Nothing not to like about it I do the same I get itchy feet and thought it was worth a go

Reply to Help and advice with getting site work in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen