Discuss Heated floor dilemma in the UK Tiling Forum | Tile Advice Forum area at TilersForums.com

R

Regis Quality Tiling

TF
Reactions
Hi everyone. I'm doing a bathroom floor over existing floorboards. I'm also adding a 1.5 sq m electric heating mat before tiling with 30 x 30 granite tiles. I'm applying thermal board which I'm sticking with adhesive. Been told don't need screws or tape as adhesive will do. My dilemma is whether I then self level or just tile directly onto the matting? If I don't level think I will struggle with my levels across the floor. If I do use self leveller first, how do I make sure it doesn't flow through the holes left accessible for pipework coming out of the floor? Should I batten small areas around ? I've used self leveller before but only on ground floor solid floors
Any advice thoroughly welcome. Thanks,
Nick

J K Tiling Cornwall

J K Tiling Cornwall

TF
Arms
Reactions
Using screws with washers along with taping the joints would be belt and braces. Just go around with duct tape and cover any gaps or fill with tile adhesive, I usually put a piece of batten across the threshold and duct tape the inside face 👍

R

Regis Quality Tiling

TF
Reactions
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks. Do I need to prime the thermal board before applying the self leveller?

J K Tiling Cornwall

J K Tiling Cornwall

TF
Arms
Reactions
It never hurts to apply some dilute primer to the boards. Would allow to completely dry before fitting the underfloor heat mat 👍

Reply to Heated floor dilemma in the UK Tiling Forum | Tile Advice Forum area at TilersForums.com

Tiling Forum

Get free wall and floor tiling advice from TilersForums.com's Tiling Forum. Both DIY and professional wall and floor tilers use this forum to make sure their tiling is spot on.

New Threads (Sitewide)

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.