Discuss Granfix Grey Grout Dried Different Colours in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all
Please advise needed if possible. How can i fix grout that has dried different shades. It is meant to be grey, but is grey and black in different parts. I treated each wall area separately as not quick enough to grout whole bathroom in 1 go, so therefore different batches were made, everything clean each time, mixed to smooth paste as per instructions. I have seen some info on efforensense, but not sure if it is that. Would it be possible or feasible to go over surface again ? Is Granfix grout any good as i have used mapei before with no issues ?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Also what adhesive was used and was is the substrate? Plaster or plasterboard or something else?

S

SJPurdy

Is the colour uniform in each wall/batch area? or is it patchy throughout a single mix batch?

I think Effervescence is when, as a grout sets the moisture in it rises to the surface bringing more of the salts in the grout to the surface and this gives a lighter/whitish colour to the surface of the grout ( if this is wrong then someone please give a correction). I personally used to find this to be a problem with Granfix grey floor grout and so stopped using it.
I however have never seen grey/black patchiness but it could possibly be effervescence on black grout giving lighter greyer patches; but, I do not think, darker black patches on grey grout.
There are (acid based?) products available to reduce effervescence if this is the cause.

Pictures would be useful to help with a diagnosis.

O

Old Mod

Well effervescence is gas bubbles in a liquid haha :D sorry Steve couldn't help it! :(

Efflorescence is the formation of salt crystals after water carrying these salts evaporates.
Most common cause is over washing with a sponge that is saturated with water or standing water in the joints.
If it's light and dark grey it could well be efflorescence.
Grey grout is dark when wet, efflorescence would turn it light grey.
How long has it been since u've grouted?
Or has the area been subject to premature heavy wetting?
Or is room very humid?
Or even grouting too early I'd addy hasn't set properly.
These can cause efflorescence
(derived from Latin word meaning "To Bloom") :rolleyes:

U can generally remove it with a Phosphoric acid based tile and grout cleaner.
Obviously test small descreet area first.

Reaction score
Is the colour uniform in each wall/batch area? or is it patchy throughout a single mix batch?

I think Effervescence is when, as a grout sets the moisture in it rises to the surface bringing more of the salts in the grout to the surface and this gives a lighter/whitish colour to the surface of the grout ( if this is wrong then someone please give a correction). I personally used to find this to be a problem with Granfix grey floor grout and so stopped using it.
I however have never seen grey/black patchiness but it could possibly be effervescence on black grout giving lighter greyer patches; but, I do not think, darker black patches on grey grout.
There are (acid based?) products available to reduce effervescence if this is the cause.

Pictures would be useful to help with a diagnosis.
IMG_20150910_184423481.jpg IMG_20150910_184538989.jpg IMG_20150910_184557460.jpg

Hi there

I have added some pics, but not really easy to see. After some searching today, the suppliers (BB) have said they supplied the wrong colour grout, should have been light grey, but was charcoal. Customer wants me to re - grout the bathroom !!!!(21 SQM). Any tips/help/advice would be most welcome (not looking forward to this !!!!!) I will be paid extra for this, but dreading it already. is there an easy way to do this|?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Grout lines look like they've been washed off way too much. Tiles are stepping quite a bit.

Not the best tiling that.

I thought you were DIY when you first asked but you say this is a customers job. :-/

You need a tool like a Fein Multimaster with a grout removal head on it. (Available from www.TradeTiler.com) or a grout rake (also from TT). But it'll take you ages with a rake. Then re-grout.

Reaction score
Grout lines look like they've been washed off way too much. Tiles are stepping quite a bit.

Not the best tiling that.

I thought you were DIY when you first asked but you say this is a customers job. :-/

You need a tool like a Fein Multimaster with a grout removal head on it. (Available from www.TradeTiler.com) or a grout rake (also from TT). But it'll take you ages with a rake. Then re-grout.

Thanks for comments, taken on board. Not too sure what funky and stepping means ? I am learning, still a way to go. Another question, is there a minimum bed thickness for floor tiles to stop height of floor being raised too much ?

Reply to Granfix Grey Grout Dried Different Colours in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks