Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Full Bathroom Re Fit Advice in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Flintstone

Just a bit of advice really, as I only do tiling I have never taken on a full bathroom re fit job for myself but one has come my way, I know a good plumber who has recently left his employer and gone self employed so he is no expert on pricing etc.
Just wondered about pricing, is it wages + materials with profit in the materials, or is it more than that? Also where is good place to get a bathroom suit? Nothing too fancy, he's an old man and needs old bath and toilet taking out and a large shower putting in etc.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I work with a plumber on full refits, we both look at the job together but he prices his side of it and I price mine, and if the customer is happy with the price's then we book it in to follow one another, most jobs we complete in one week.
We have trusted suppliers we recommend to the customer to chose the new suite and tiles or they can sort it themselves .

F

Flintstone

I think that's probably how it's gonna go for us too. A week is fast! I'm gonna have to take the plunge and buy a suite from somewhere I haven't used before I think.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I think that's probably how it's gonna go for us too. A week is fast! I'm gonna have to take the plunge and buy a suite from somewhere I haven't used before I think.

Why not get the plumber to supply? If there are any problems with it, it's then down to him to sort, say for example if something is missing/broken. I let my plumber supply all sanitary, my spark supplies cable fans lighting etc and plasterer buys his own board and plaster. I supply addy, tiles addy and make money on those.

If it works for you the first time, and you work well together you can guarantee that when he gets asked to fit bathrooms for customers they will need a tiler and he should point them in your direction, everyones a winner.

F

Flintstone

I suppose it depends on how the job works, weather it's my job and I do all the money dealings or wether me and the plumber are in it together

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on how the job works, weather it's my job and I do all the money dealings or wether me and the plumber are in it together

I don't get involved with the money side as that's where things can break down. I let my guys quote individually and invoice direct to the customer, that way you're not getting involved with tax etc

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Will be easiest to let the plumber measure up and supply the suite if he'll be fitting it. Probably get decent discount too.

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
That's just how me and joiner mate did a porch, he quoted for his part and I quoted for the plastering and billed separate. nice and clean everyone knows there bit from the start.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I always emphasise the fact to the customer by doing it this way get the right man for the right job rather than some, do it all ,bodging , multi trader ,muppet that hasn't got a clue. .;)

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
.... but if they do have a clue customers always prefer to deal with one person!

B

bcd-87

.... but if they do have a clue customers always prefer to deal with one person!

I do one a month, I get in all the quotes before hand whack on 20% on all the trades and submit to the client. Make of the trades tiles and the suite.

Reply to Full Bathroom Re Fit Advice in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks