Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Floor adhesive not dry after a week in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
C
Reaction score
Was the shower area tanked before tile?
Ha ha - I think you can probably work out the answer for yourself! I've just googled it and this is the first time I've heard about it. No, the plumber and tiler never even mentioned this.
I've had a very apologetic email back from the plumber this afternoon who has accepted full responsibility and wants nothing to do with the tiler again (apparently he met him in a pub a few weeks ago) grrr. It looks like he's taken a risk but then passed that risk onto us. He's determined to put things right, redo the floor tiles, fix the plastering and redo the edging and he doesn't want any money until we're happy with things. I think, legally, we have to give him an opportunity to amend things before we cancel his contract or take things further?
I've also had another look at the wall tiles, and although they were originally 300 x 600 all of the ones at the back wall of the shower have been cut to fit, so ended up at about 300 x 350 and on the side walls, they were either cut to fit (ended up about 300 by 250) or have had the shower wall screwed into them, which was a bit of a relief. Having said that, I've spoken to the extremely friendly and helpful Josh (thanks!) and I'm going to see what happens if you slide a tool between one of the tiles at the top to see how well attached it really is.
I'm glad the plumber isn't denying there's a problem or wanting to send his useless tiler back to us. Lots of lessons learned for us. Ugh. This whole job was supposed to have been finished almost a week ago.
Thanks for all the advice everyone, you've been fantastic.

Reaction score
Ha ha - I think you can probably work out the answer for yourself! I've just googled it and this is the first time I've heard about it. No, the plumber and tiler never even mentioned this.
I've had a very apologetic email back from the plumber this afternoon who has accepted full responsibility and wants nothing to do with the tiler again (apparently he met him in a pub a few weeks ago) grrr. It looks like he's taken a risk but then passed that risk onto us. He's determined to put things right, redo the floor tiles, fix the plastering and redo the edging and he doesn't want any money until we're happy with things. I think, legally, we have to give him an opportunity to amend things before we cancel his contract or take things further?
I've also had another look at the wall tiles, and although they were originally 300 x 600 all of the ones at the back wall of the shower have been cut to fit, so ended up at about 300 x 350 and on the side walls, they were either cut to fit (ended up about 300 by 250) or have had the shower wall screwed into them, which was a bit of a relief. Having said that, I've spoken to the extremely friendly and helpful Josh (thanks!) and I'm going to see what happens if you slide a tool between one of the tiles at the top to see how well attached it really is.
I'm glad the plumber isn't denying there's a problem or wanting to send his useless tiler back to us. Lots of lessons learned for us. Ugh. This whole job was supposed to have been finished almost a week ago.
Thanks for all the advice everyone, you've been fantastic.
You could have a wooden skirting fitted round the bottom of wall against floor to finish it off . Also a cut tile would look nice instead as a skirting .

OP
C
Reaction score
Needless to say, it's been just over two years. The tiles have started falling off, the false plasterboard wall he tiled directly onto is now completely rotten and crumbles away in your hand and damp is seeping through to the adjoining room.

I am never using checkatrade again....

283932322_430348932253823_6222991406725524676_n.jpg
285008668_1144341593012355_5383436292747634458_n.jpg

Attachments

• 282046152_1076045856456453_2921752896688762071_n.jpg
    282046152_1076045856456453_2921752896688762071_n.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Thanks. Unfortunately, he absolutely wasn’t the cheapest quotation we had. He was the most expensive. We employed a plumber to do the job, but when he arrived he said he’d subcontracted the plastering and tile to a colleague of his who would be better at it. Then when the plasterer arrived, he told us he’d also subcontracted the tile to a colleague of his who would be better at it..So right now, they’re all blaming the other one. They’re all on the main websites and have good reviews. I don’t know what went wrong this time. Miscommunication between them and no one taking full responsibility, I think.
its a probably one gang.. playing games

Reply to Floor adhesive not dry after a week in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock