Search the forum,

Discuss First Time Limestone Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

J Sid

don't what the stone, material or what cost your charging to fix, but uncoupling membrane , adhesive and fixing would add about, no more than 15% to the over all cost. Call it an insurance policy. :) and be able to sleep at night.

F

Flintstone

Stone that thick isn't any weaker than your average ceramic tile I'm sure. What is going to happen to a solid screed that effects stone more than any other tiles? I think it's pranoia. I can see it with Ufh as there is some expanding and contracting.
I have tiled many natural material floors without heating, and without uncoupling, no problems.

Fitting 70m of uncoupling is a significant amount of money!

F

Flintstone

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

O

Old Mod

Stone that thick isn't any weaker than your average ceramic tile I'm sure. What is going to happen to a solid screed that effects stone more than any other tiles? I think it's pranoia. I can see it with Ufh as there is some expanding and contracting.
I have tiled many natural material floors without heating, and without uncoupling, no problems.

Fitting 70m of uncoupling is a significant amount of money!

Well I'm pleased for you, and if it's worked for u that's great.
But we're all entitled to our own opinion, and if they didn't differ, this forum wouldn't exist.
And I'm sorry that my opinion differs to yours, but it is my opinion nonetheless.
As far as considerable cost goes, on a floor that size, in terms of a percentage,
I can't agree!

Nice images, but proof of install isn't proof of longevity.
And I've read no confirmation that this particular material is 20mm+
and if it is, even more reason to protect your investment.
But it's just my opinion.

B

Bill

See - I don't get it with some of you folk - I have fixed thousands of metres of stone without decouplers, many times directly in a sand and cement bed.

All you have to do is make sure is that everything you do is compatible with your workflow.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
When I began tiling a couple of decades back products such as ditra or dural were unheard of, granted so were anhydrite screeds. So as you can imagine I've fixed countless stone floors without a membrane successfully. However you move with the times so if budget allows I wouldn't advise against using one even if personally on a regular screed (no ufh) I don't think it necessary. We're all about belt and braces on this forum so yes I don't think one is necessary on this install but if the op has the budget to fit one then do it.

S

Spare Tool

If its about budget, doesn't have to be ditra or Dural, tilemaster crack mat only around £4 a metre if you shop about, thin bed of anhyfix for matt, your choice of adhesive on top...sleep easy ;)

J

J Sid

If its about budget, doesn't have to be ditra or Dural, tilemaster crack mat only around £4 a metre if you shop about, thin bed of anhyfix for matt, your choice of adhesive on top...sleep easy ;)
is it really the cheap, not used it, surprised:) same as the bal?

Reply to First Time Limestone Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen