Search the forum,

Discuss First Time Limestone Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Makone

TF
Reaction score
I have a 70m limestone floor to do and having never done one before I have a few questions for you good people.
the tiles are between 700 and 1100mm to be laid randomly, honed, with a rustic affect, light but not white in colour. i have a 900mm sigma but I'm guessing that the tile will be too soft to score and break. is that right? and if so what would you suggest for cutting? all i have is a battery grinder or a 750w wet cutter. guessing the wet cutter is better but will that stain the tiles? any special wheel needed?
also its going on a anhydrite screed - beautifully flat - any advice on what type of primer to use and/or any technique for application would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.

O

Old Mod

Nice easy one to start then! :)
Under floor heating?
Wet cutter or grinder, either or, personal preference really.
Grinder incredibly dusty and messy without adequate dust extraction.
Wet cutter no problem, shouldn't stain, just make sure they've dried out properly before u seal the stone.
Are u using a decoupling membrane? (Ditra/Dural)
You can use an anhydrite specific adhesive and recommended primer, depending adhesive manufacturers recommendation, to stick the decoupler down, then use a regular cement based adhesive to stick the stone to the decoupler.
But only once the floor has been sanded and laitence removed.
This must be done prior to any work carried out.
And of course only when the new screed is sufficiently dry.

Makone

TF
Reaction score
haha yeah great fun for a first time ;) so the membrane is necessary then? because it aint in the price! :oops: I'm going thru a builder who's supplying all the materials so if necessary ill have to pass on the bad news.

F

Flintstone

With limestone that size I assume they are very thick, 20mm +

I would recommend using a grinder to cut them, save you manoeuvring them through the wet cutter. I wouldn't worry about a decoupler. I would make sure you have a suitable trowel tho for large tiles and back butter them all

Makone

TF
Reaction score
With limestone that size I assume they are very thick, 20mm +

I would recommend using a grinder to cut them, save you manoeuvring them through the wet cutter. I wouldn't worry about a decoupler. I would make sure you have a suitable trowel tho for large tiles and back butter them all
any particular type of wheel? i only have a continuous rim wheel and I'm thinking a stone as soft as that will clog it right up? largest trowel I've got is a 12mm square notch or a ten mm solid bed i guessing thats not really enough either?

O

Old Mod

Personally, i've got to agree with Julian, in all the years I've been fitting stone I've never fitted it directly to the screed with or without underfloor heating. Whilst this video is a little outdated because of Newer products, it shows why natural stone should not be fixed direct to a substrate, it's just too fragile.

View: https://youtu.be/f6FyWs2WZ1k

This is probably a similar stone.

image.jpeg

Reply to First Time Limestone Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen