Search the forum,

Discuss First tiling job after my course with UKPTT in the Tiling Courses area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

View attachment 100561
It’s not too bad.. to be honest it’s like trying to polish a turd in this bathroom! It’s not a perfect job mate, but it’s my first.
I’ve made a schoolboy error of starting with a full tile in the corner though :confused: idiot!!!! Won’t make that mistake again!
Thing is though the wall is a bit pissed so as it goes up from the bath I’m now having to cut in 10mm slithers of tile :mad:
Horizontal datum to mark the heights of all obstructions to see where I want to start tiling (vertically). I put my level on the wall and it looks ok, I think I’ve just messed up my my brick formation but will double check tomorrow.. either way I can’t do mymuch about it now other than learn from the experience :eek:
My own bathroom? No. Why do you ask?

I ask because I think it’s morally unacceptable to charge for work that you clearly have no experience in doing!

W

Waluigi

Bit harsh IMHO. The job won’t be perfect by any means but for a start, it’s been tanked. How many thousands of tilers around the country slap tiles onto bare plasterboard day in day out in wet areas? Should they be charging for their work or is that unacceptable?!

I do take your point though, Timeless John but think your knock back will do nothing but make the OP more determined to seek advice and improve exponentially

T

Time's Ran Out

We all have opinions.
Harsh ! - Some homeowner will have to live with this, will have paid hard earned money for a poor finish and this will reflect on our trade.
Read the threads from unhappy members seeking advice on work they’ve had done by ‘tilers’ and reply to them in a positive manner.
I’ve said it before and I said it above - IMHO it’s morally unacceptable to charge for work you have no experience in doing!
If we are to be taken seriously as a trade you must learn the skills to provide a professional job.

W

Waluigi

The guy has started a job where the render fell off to the brick, had to get the bath out of situ and has had to board a crappy wall out, get it as flat as he can, tank the wall and start tiling and your contribution to the thread is that it’s morally unacceptable to be charging for the work?

I do take your point and have said so twice now. Maybe it’s time to consider my point. I think you already have. :) goodnight.

James De

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I ask because I think it’s morally unacceptable to charge for work that you clearly have no experience in doing!
Thank you for your opinion John. However, I am an honest person and I forewarned my customer that hers would be the first job after completing my 2 week tiling course with UKPTT. She is well aware I don’t have the experience that seasoned tilers have and she was happy to go ahead. The only way I can gain experience is by doing the work. It was the same when I started plumbing and heating. I’m now at a level high of standard, which is where I will get to with tiling the more I do and the more I seek the help and advice from positive members of this forum. Have a good day, John. All the best.

W

Waluigi

They can get re-enamelled. Come up beautifully.

I had a customer with that 70’s ‘Blue’ cast bath, basin and WC. They all came up like brand new. Styling was off though.

James De

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
They can get re-enamelled. Come up beautifully.

I had a customer with that 70’s ‘Blue’ cast bath, basin and WC. They all came up like brand new. Styling was off though.
I’ll let them know.. to be honest I don’t really think they care all that much as it’s ‘just their rental flat’.. :unamused:

Reply to First tiling job after my course with UKPTT in the Tiling Courses area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen