Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss First tiling job after my course with UKPTT in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi guys,

I'm currently on my first job after finishing the 9 day course with UK Pro tile Training, which I must add was absolutely brilliant!!!

So after removing the 7m2 area of mosaic tiles the plaster behind the tiles just crumbled off the wall due to previous leaks.

2 - https://ibb.co/kmLu5K
[picture of wall/plaster]

2.jpg

I'm thinking of dot n dabbing some Knauff Aquaboard to the brick walls. Can anyone tell me if there is a better idea?

I'm only boarding the area where I'm tile (on both walls the bath/shower is against). Thing is, the good plaster which I'm leaving on the walls is an inch thick - hence the dot n dab so the boards meet the good plaster flush.

Many thanks
James

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Flintstone

Chop off at least anything loose and dot and dab a board on, any suitable board, it doesn’t really matter. It’s best practice to waterproof tank any shower areas before tile.

Q

Qwerty

I would cut out the remaining plaster in that area and reboard as the others have said.

I have added the actual image of the issue into your post for you

OP
J
Reaction score
The plaster is lime mortar which has been reskimmed at some point, I'd be using the likes of Marmox type boards and screwed using the special washers.
Whitebeam, I can’t seem to find a stockist of marmox anywhere and I need them for tomorrow, I’ve tried travis Perkins and jewsons which are listed as stockists on the marmox site and nothing. Do you know where I can pick some up from?
***EDIT***
There’s a place called SIG in Ruislip that sells it I think, I’ll try them. But if you do know of a major chain that sells them that’d be great!

Last edited:
O

Old Mod

Do you have a Ctd near by?
They sell the wedi/marmox type boards.
Anything like Jackoboard, Dukkaboard.
It’s all the same stuff.
It’s a foam board with a cement type covering back and front.
Cement boards like ‘Hardie’ and ‘no more ply’ still need tanking in wet areas.
The wedi style boards only need tanking on the joints and over mechanical fixings (screw and washers)
Topps sell wedi now, but I’ve no idea on their prices.
Just make sure you get the washers, it’ll stop screws pulling through.
Even B&Q sell this type of board now, not sure if it’s order only tho.

W

Waluigi

Dot and dab plasterboard and then tank it if it’s in a wet area. The cost of the tanking outweighs the cost of the Tile backer board and is far quicker.

Unless of course you’re hanging very heavy tiles off it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Dot and dab plasterboard and then tank it if it’s in a wet area. The cost of the tanking outweighs the cost of the Tile backer board and is far quicker.

Unless of course you’re hanging very heavy tiles off it.
No just standard metro ceramics.. any recommendations on tanking kits?

W

Waluigi

Tilemaster.

Or Mapei as that’s the most widely available kit on the market. I prefer Tilemaster though.

Remember, when dot and dabbing a whole wall, you need to dot a continuous rim across the top of the board.

OP
J
Reaction score
Tilemaster.

Or Mapei as that’s the most widely available kit on the market. I prefer Tilemaster though.

Remember, when dot and dabbing a whole wall, you need to dot a continuous rim across the top of the board.
Cheers Walugi, yeah I’ll prob do more around all sides and then dot n dab the centre pieces.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ardex taking is another good tanking kit if you have a CTD nearby :thumbsup:
Yeah I’ve got one just down the road but just been to the website and searched for it and nothing comes up under ardex or tanking.. looks like on their website they only sell tiles :/

Reply to First tiling job after my course with UKPTT in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock