Discuss First Paying Job Advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

TARTAN TILER

Hey all Nailed my first paying job today:hurray: two small bathroom floors total of 2.6m2 with a 300x330 slate tile with a 4mm spacer.

the downstairs loo is concreate the upstairs is like gray ply with a green membrane over it? The house is a new build.

The Addesive Im thinking of using is bal white star as it is flexible,water resistant and because it is such a small area thought ready mixed would be better. and white star comes in a 5 ltr tub.

The grout 3.5kg bag of bal microflex wide joint grout grey.

Could anyone tell me if they are the best products to select may sound like a daft question.

Thanks.

G

Gazzer

Dispersion adhesive is of no use in the fixing of floor tiles.
This green membrane ? is it a covering or part of the floor, could be wax or more likely a plastic covering. Either way it sounds totally unsuitable to tile to without more prep work. i hope you have priced accordingly ?

D

DHTiling

Hey all Nailed my first paying job today:hurray: two small bathroom floors total of 2.6m2 with a 300x330 slate tile with a 4mm spacer.

the downstairs loo is concreate the upstairs is like gray ply with a green membrane over it? The house is a new build.

The Addesive Im thinking of using is bal white star as it is flexible,water resistant and because it is such a small area thought ready mixed would be better. and white star comes in a 5 ltr tub.

The grout 3.5kg bag of bal microflex wide joint grout grey.

Could anyone tell me if they are the best products to select may sound like a daft question.

Thanks.

Haven't you recently just done a course..?

Did they explain adhesives..?

T

Time's Ran Out

I think you need to ask for some advice before you go any further!
Don't rush in to anything.
No.1 - Bal white star is a wall tile adhesive.
Is it real slate or a slate effect tile?
No such thing as a daft question .

S

simhopper

Your winding us up?

White star on a floor lol

Not suitable for a floor, Not suitable for chipboard and not suitable for slate

With your knowledge you shouldnt be working in peoples homes

S

simhopper

Steady on there...

Why

Hes one of the clowns that we follow around

And he advertises on a local site i use.....has no idea on substrates, adhesives so what chance do his future customers have

Save the adhesive and use the dung off your horse:lol::lol:

T

Time's Ran Out

Your winding us up?

Sometimes its better not to give any advice if you can't be positive.
We all have opinions but some remarks are better thought and not posted.

Too late - youv'e obviously got something stuck up your rear end!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

david campbell

Your winding us up?

a bit harsh simon!

we should be pointing this guy in the right direction rather than slating(no pun intented) him!

i think you should be asking advice mate as this is a bit of a high profile job for a first timer

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hiya tartan,the green floor sounds like it may be green chipboard which would need boarded over before you tile it bud,

altho white star is flexi and is a good adhesive its not suited for floors its a wall adhesive as are most addys out of tubs

choose a flexible cement based adhesive that you mix yourself,,mapei keraquik is a good one to use as it has a longer life in the bucket giving you more time for your first job without having the worry of it going off.

what kind of slate is it tartan as some slates come all diff thicknesses, wide joint grout is a good choice for the floor:thumbsup: ask away tartan its the only way to learn

D

DHTiling

Why

Hes one of the clowns that we follow around

And he advertises on a local site i use.....has no idea on substrates, adhesives so what chance do his future customers have

Save the adhesive and use the dung off your horse:lol::lol:

Because i said so and if you continue i will remove you from this forum..

Read the rules >>> Forum Rules

No need for your rudeness.

T

TARTAN TILER

:oops:Yes just complated a course covered slate all you use is bal training addy they do not cover adhesives in detail. they are slate and i have an impregnating sealer and am aware how to grade the slate thick to thin and seal before grouting and seal afterwords.

The downstairs loo is fine as it is a concreate subfloor and the grout im using is fine.

im think it might be a waterproof membrane on the floor not sure.

D

DHTiling

:oops:Yes just complated a course covered slate all you use is bal training addy they do not cover adhesives in detail. they are slate and i have an impregnating sealer and am aware how to grade the slate thick to thin and seal before grouting and seal afterwords.

The downstairs loo is fine as it is a concreate subfloor and the grout im using is fine.

im think it might be a waterproof membrane on the floor not sure.

Ok.. nice one..

We will talk you through what you need to use..

G

Gazzer

You will need to cover it in some way with a tile backer board and if they are newbuilds it will be chipboard not ply most likely. The trouble is we need to know what this membrane is, i would say its just a plastic covering. you cant tile onto that.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
your right tartan you do nee flexi addy just take you some time to get up to speed with what ones do what,mapei do a little black book if you email them they will send you one out im sure and any thing u need to read up on is in it

Reply to First Paying Job Advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay