Search the forum,

Discuss Filling and Sealing Joint between Tile Backer and Ceiling in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
I’m just about to install 12.5mm Hardiebacker boards in my 3-wall en suite shower and I’m just wonder how I should fill and seal the joints with the existing ceiling (believe it is just plasterboard and painted).

What should I use for filler? Tile adhesive and then tape the joints as normal after that? Or is it better to use a silicone sealant and then tape the joints after that?

I plan to install the boards with a slight gap (2mm) between top of board and ceiling tonallow for expansion, then fill that. Is that the best approach?

Thanks in advance.

O

One Day

No need to seal if it's to be tiled over.
Normally I would seal the tile-to-ceiling joint with a paintable caulk, or silicone if already painted.

Reply to Filling and Sealing Joint between Tile Backer and Ceiling in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen