Search the forum,

Discuss expansion joints in granite floor tiles for area 300sqm in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

archer

Hi there,

i have recently been asked to tile an area of about 320sqm with granite floor tiles. the screed has not been layed yet and i was wondering at what intervals the expansion joints should be laid, wether they must match the saw or cold joints in the screed, i phoned the suppliers of the tiles and he suggested using a polymer grout as expansion. also would a normal cement based adhesive do the trick or would a flexible one be a safe option?

cheers
matt

D

diamondtiling

Expansion gaps vary depending on the architects mood :20: Some say 5 metres and others say 8. Is there an architect on the job that you could speak with?
Is this a ground floor that you are tiling?
A SPF would be advisable over normal rapid set.
What is the project? Is it going to have much traffic? if so how heavy?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

A

archer

appreciate the quick reply, its a ground floor room, and i think its going to be a function room, weddings discos etc? pardon my ignorance what does spf stand for?

cheers

D

doug boardley

appreciate the quick reply, its a ground floor room, and i think its going to be a function room, weddings discos etc? pardon my ignorance what does spf stand for?

cheers
single part flexible (adhesive):thumbsup:

A

archer

thanks, think i already knew that, been a slow day today. no i havent tackled anything this size before, i havent commited myself to anything yet, im just trying to learn about every single aspect of it and the solutions. i looked at the schulter website. was wondering if there was a knack to laying them having not done expansion joints before but i suppose everyone has to start somewhere? as long as its done correctly.

T

Terry Cottar

thanks, think i already knew that, been a slow day today. no i havent tackled anything this size before, i havent commited myself to anything yet, im just trying to learn about every single aspect of it and the solutions. i looked at the schulter website. was wondering if there was a knack to laying them having not done expansion joints before but i suppose everyone has to start somewhere? as long as its done correctly.

Thats a fairly big job for any tiler! What size are the tiles and how do they want them laid?

tel

A

archer

300by 300, and laid in a normal grid pattern, its not the size that worries me but getting the expansion joints right.

Reply to expansion joints in granite floor tiles for area 300sqm in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen