Currently reading:
Electric Underfloor Options And Mosaic Tiling

Discuss Electric Underfloor Options And Mosaic Tiling in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com.

D

davidsmerv

Hi guys, I have a customer who wants to put electric underfloor of approx 3m2 into a 6m2 bathroom with a timber floor. No big problem there I hear you all say....lol.

The tiles they want to use are whats causing me some concern or rather the build up to the tiles I should say, they have picked a mosaic made up of round pieces of shell (aaahhhh cant remember the correct name for it but im sure youll get my drift) which are around 2mm thick. Normally at a time like this I would be going straight for Ditra heat or similar but of course that wont work with the mosaic on top.

So the dilemma is how to go about it rather than run for the hills!!!!!!!

My thoughts are as follows providing the timber floor is sufficiently strong of course;

• Lay heating cables on top of floor and cover with a layer of self levelling
  • Bond a 6mm cement board of some description onto this with tile adhesive to give a flat and true surface for the mosaic
  • Possibly using BALs new uncoupling mat below tile (anyone any experience of this???)

Im not sure what you will all think of the layer of board on top of the self levelling, ideally it would be good not to have it but I think it could be difficult to get the surface of the self levelling good enough for the tile in question.

I also want to ask has anyone any experience of any of the low build up water based underfloor systems that seem to be around now like this one Thermotube | Low volume hot water underfloor heating system designed for use with renewables.

Any thoughts or ideas welcome
Cheers

O

Old Mod

as a few have said, check the mosaics are fit for floor purpose.

i like @Stef way of doing the floor, but also think one of your first options, a ditra heat type system (other makes are available ;)) would also work. you could fix matting with a flexible adhesive, lay matting and wire then back fill with flexible tile adhesive.
Would that work Lee?
What about point loading?
It's a genuine question mate, not querying it.
I'd of thought maybe u'd need a 2-3mm latex over it.

D

davidsmerv

Ditra heat is not suitable for anything less than 50mm in size, I am being told by the retailer that the tiles are suitable but now that has been said I am going to double check.

The problem I can foresee with going straight onto the slc with the tiles is that unless im doing something wrong its difficult to get a completely flat even surface with the slc, believe me ive tried on many occasions and theres always some imperfections in it, and with it having heating cables buried i would be reluctant to start surface grinding etc to remove them. Hence the 6mm board to provide a good surface.

Would that work Lee?
What about point loading?
It's a genuine question mate, not querying it.
I'd of thought maybe u'd need a 2-3mm latex over it.

hands up, think you are correct here........however, checked with technical at thermogroup (variopro) and theyve said cover variopro with SLC and theyve not an issue with the size of tile used (can be mosaic)

however does sound like this mosaics isnt fit for floor use.

O

Old Mod

Thanks paul not sure how to start a thread not to clever on computers ,thanks for that see if i can just get a plastic box that size
all u need to do is go to the main forum page by clicking site logo.
Scroll down to appropriate forum. Click into it, and top right it says post new thread, click it and follow prompts! Easy.
To answer your question a wicked 9inch paint roller tray works.
When Mark @whitebeam logs on tonight, thank him, that's where I got info for you.

Reply to Electric Underfloor Options And Mosaic Tiling in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which is very thick concrete. He wants electric underfloor heating but I'm concerned he'll lose too much...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber floor in our barn conversion. The area is large, 21m x 8m. Having spoken to various UFH suppliers I...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement